Backing up:- not a legal issue but necessity

U

ultimatenyle

The law says that if you buy software "you have the legal right to make one personal copy of that software for yourself".
It only makes sense to make a copy of your software & put the original back in the box where it cannot be damaged.

I have warcraft III (PC) and Res. Evl. (GC), but no can longer play them :(
through a freak accident both the discs were warped and no longer fucntion.

when i was wee and had my old faithful Amstrad CPC6128 i used an action replay to 'backup' the tape games to disc. discs were a lot hardier than tapes and loaded faster and still work today unlike the original tapes!

is there a device or sowtware that i can use to backup gamecube games and pc games that dont copy with nero/clonecd?

cheers
nyle

Try contacting the games distributor in the UK. Back in the dim and distant past it wasn't unheard of for software houses to replace dodgy tapes - they might be helpful.

A point of law I was wondering about though... You've got the original disks, and therefore a 'license' to play the games. Would it be illegal for you to get a copy from a friend I wonder?

Originally posted by ultimatenyle
The law says that if you buy software "you have the legal right to make one personal copy of that software for yourself".

Where does the law say that?

Is a copy of Super Mario Sunshine (for instance) so valuable, and likely to be needed so far into the future, that you need to make a back up of it?

What you want to know is how to copy a mini DVD? Asking such questions are likely to result in the thread being closed and being asked to ask such questions elsewhere. Why not pre-empt this response?;)

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by bh
Where does the law say that?

I don't know the exact bit of law, but this is an accepted part of our copyright laws.

After all when you buy software such as games, you are buying a right to use the software along with the actual media the software is on. The media itself is not the big deal - it is the license for use that that you are really paying for. (As we will find out when electronic delivery of games starts to become widespread).

gamecube games cannot be copied, which is what you are asking.

and as far as backing up a pc game is concerned , the info is out there.

It is worth emailing the said companies and tell them what has happened as they might swap the discs for you, worth a go.

BH, this explains the piece of law squiffy is referring to

Acts that do not infringe copyright

'Fair dealing’ is a term used to describe acts which are permitted to a certain degree (normally copies of parts of a work) without infringing copyright, these acts are; Private and research study purposes. Performance, copies or lending for educational purposes. Criticism and news reporting. Incidental inclusion. Copies and lending by librarians. Acts for the purposes of Royal Commissions, statutory enquiries, judicial proceedings and parliamentary purposes. Recording of broadcasts for the purposes of listening to or viewing at a more convenient time, this is known as ‘time shifting’. Producing a back up copy for personal use of a computer program. Playing sound recording for a non profit making organisation, club or society. [Profit making organisations and individuals should obtain a licence from the Performing Rights Society.]

more info at

http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/law(01).htm

Yeah the current law does state that you are allowed to make a backup for personal use.. However in 2003 I have heard that that law might change. Along with the customs price limit in the UK (items over £18 are charged... Soon that figure will be lower) and more laws about DVD Players... For one moment multi-region DVD players were to be deemed illegal but that has passed thankfully.

As for Gamecube disks... I have heard a long time ago that software can be "backed up" but only on a DVD media and not the mini DVD disk, which means it is playable on the Panasonic Q. This is very old news however and it could just be a hoax.

As for PC disks... Well I won't comment.

It just seems like for the Gamecube stuff you are royally buggered I'm afraid... Unless you can put the disk under even pressure for a length of time as an attempt to even the surface. Might as well try it I suppose....

Fair dealing only applies where the Copyright holder has not made any explicit licensing provision for this. Otherwise, they may impose further restrictions as they see fit.

Anyhow, the initial poster's motivations were not to find out about IPR, but to find out how to copy a game on a new disc format (Mini DVDR).
;)

Originally posted by bh
Fair dealing only applies where the Copyright holder has not made any explicit licensing provision for this. Otherwise, they may impose further restrictions as they see fit.

They can put what they like in the license - the law of the land takes precedence.

Sorry thats wrong of course. The laws of Europe take precedence, then UK law and somewhere down the list comes contract law.

A contract clause cannot be enforced if the enforcement breaches the law.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom