Backing up MS Outlook emails ahead of W7 clean install

BuckbyJon

Established Member
Reaction score
I am a total loss how to do the above despite searching the web.

I'm not particularly knowledgeable about PCs but in a few weeks my copy of Windows 7 will arrive and I know it needs a clean install. So I have been busy backing up my music, documents and photos to a USB stick. I only thought about all my emails yesterday, can anyone advise how I can back all my emails up to USB stick and then when I have reinstalled MS Outlook having set up Windows 7, how I'll be able to access all my emails again?

Also am I right in saying when we install Windows 7, it will automatically format and clean the hard drive?

Thanks all.

oh and regarding installing windows 7:

are you doing a clean install? i.e. using the windows 7 install disk to format (totally wipe) your hard drive and then install it? personally i think this would be the best option for you.

Josh

Hi Josh - it is great to see people helping with advice. Cheers.

Yes, I intend to do a clean install, hence why I am busy backing up all my music and photos etc. I assuming the install disk when it comes will automatically do this when I install Windows 7?

well with my install disk it showed me all the hard drives i had installed on my system and asked me which i wanted to install 7 onto. it also gave you the option of formating that drive ahead of install.

so yes when you put the disk in and boot from that just select the hdd you want to install it to, format it and then install on it!

very easy to do and it is all in a visual format which is much eaiser (IMO) than the XP disk was! cannot comment on Vista as i never used that.

Josh

I am a total loss how to do the above despite searching the web.

I'm not particularly knowledgeable about PCs but in a few weeks my copy of Windows 7 will arrive and I know it needs a clean install. So I have been busy backing up my music, documents and photos to a USB stick. I only thought about all my emails yesterday, can anyone advise how I can back all my emails up to USB stick and then when I have reinstalled MS Outlook having set up Windows 7, how I'll be able to access all my emails again?

Also am I right in saying when we install Windows 7, it will automatically format and clean the hard drive?

Thanks all.

If you use the built in easy transfer wizard it takes care of this for you.

What OS is your current system running?

If you are running vista, it is available on there too, otherwise you can create an executable to take on a thumb drive.

If you are running vista, it is available on there too, otherwise you can create an executable to take on a thumb drive.

To be fair if an outlook backup is all you want it's pretty simple to just copy the *.PST file onto USB without running the transfer wizard.

agreed, but the transfer wizard will take all you other outlook settings too (if you need them), like email accounts and log ins...etc

Hi. It is XP. Is there something else I can do to back up? I followed the other instructions last night and think I have managed it. However I think it is only the emails and not the contacts info.

If there is another way to back up that does it via a wizard that would help a PC idiot like me!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom