Backing up Mini DV tapes

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by lee789, Jan 12, 2005.

1. lee789

lee789

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have about 15 mini dvd tapes that I need to edit, which is likley to happen over the next couple of years (yes I'm quick).

I want to transfer these to DVD in their current state, in order that I can re-use the tapes. These are expensive, dvd's are not (trying to cut costs).

I use pinnacle and am not sure whether I just load the whole film in as one clip then finalise that as an avi, mpeg or whatever

or

Load the film in as a multi clip (I use the timecode to split) then save the pinnacle files onto disk, then when I come to edit it should be easier.

I'm thinking along the lines of the second, but if it takes me 5 years to do I am concerned the pinnacle file formats may not work with whatever is around then.

I suppose the question is how is a good way of backing up DV tapes ?

Any ideas...

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,441
    I personally always capture the tapes in smaller sections as it makes editing easier. I save all footage as AVI files on the PC as these are a 100% quality copy of the tape and are the industry standard format.
    As for DV tapes being expensive, I think they are very cheap compared to when I first got a DV cam. I have just bought Sony Premium DV tapes at £2.60 each, but were around £10+ each a few years back.
    The other thing to keep in mind is that a DVD is not a secure copy of your footage. DVDs are easily damaged and once the DV tape has been wiped you have no way of getting the footage back. Even at £10 per tape I have always kept all my origional tapes, and every edit is also copied to a new DV tape for archiving. This makes it easy to recover and create a new DVD if the old one gets scratched.

Mark.

3. lee789

lee789

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Fair point on the reliability of dvd. I don't want to lose these films, I think I'll source some cheaper tapes. 2.60 sounds good.

Thanks

Lee

4. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    For your information . . .

www.discountdiscs.co.uk are selling Sony Premium tapes for £12.99 for a box of 5, including postage. I ordered a couple of boxes and they arrived the next day.

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,441
    That's where I got mine! Agree, it was a great service with next day delivery :smashin:

Mark.

6. Techno

Techno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Mark - you make a really good point about DVD's and keeping the DV Tape. I always used to think of CDs/DVDs as being bullet proof and of course they are not by any stretch of the imagination.

I now keep the Tapes too for piece of mind.

7. lee789

lee789

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I placed an order with discountdiscs today.

Thanks !