Backing up iphone - everything!

Discussion in 'iPhone Forum' started by Jon12345, Nov 27, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Jon12345

Jon12345

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My iPhone is faulty and so Apple have agreed to replace it. They told me that I will lose my photos and some settings. They told me how to copy the photos out to my PC.

Is there any software or apps out there that will backup everything, including my photos and settings? It would be nice to just recreate a clone of my existing phone.

Anything else I might lose on swapping phones? Text messages? Contacts?

Thanks,

Jon

2. localboy27

localboy27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +489
    Backup in iTunes

3. RobM

RobM
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,168
    Yup, a simple Sync with iTunes will backup everything, including text messages and most settings.

You may need to re-join some WiFi networks and not all games save your scores with the backup, but otherwise you're good to go.

4. Jon12345

Jon12345

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The guy at the Apple store said it won't save my photos.

5. RobM

RobM
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,168
    He was wrong :)

6. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,847
    It will save all your camera roll photos (all the pictures you have taken on the phone) but not the phones in photo albums. However, this won't be a problem as you must already have them on the computer in order for you to have sync'd them to the phone in the first place. Likewise with music, it won't "save" your music and videos, but you will already have these items on your computer. Any songs you have bought from iTunes on the phone will be copied to your computer during a sync; make sure you go to File > Transfer purchases (this also applies to apps)

All you're settings will be saved, along with messages, as already mentioned.

When you get your new handset, plug it in, fire up iTunes and it will most likely ask you if you want to set up as a new phone or restore from a back up of your old phone. Choose the latter, and everything will be copied back to your phone. You might need to tell iTunes to sync the apps, music and video, but all the other stuff will go straight over :smashin:

7. Jon12345

Jon12345

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Warning to anyone who has to change handset: get a backup app. I had to go into itunes, select all my apps manually, all 60 of them. Then sync them. Then, you have to recreate all your folders and reorganize them all to the right locations. Its a right paid and takes ages.

All my settings were not saved.

8. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,847
    Did you backup your old iPhone first? Because the two times I've done it (actually three times, but I don't remember doing it when I switched from the 2G to the 3G) I did the back up first, then attached new iPhone, pressed RESTORE FROM BACK UP and everything went from my old iPhone went onto my new iPhone with no problems...

9. Jon12345

Jon12345

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes, all backed up.

10. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,847
    Very strange. Since my first 2G (then 3G, then 4 - which has since been moved to a new computer) I've never had a problem with it not syncing all the settings, messages, photos, apps etc from the old phone to the new one. Same as moving my library from a Windows desktop to a MacBook with my i4 - everything transferred fine!

11. williamus

williamus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I know it's no comfort to you, but I've restored new iphones twice and everything worked fine, photos, contacts (it's the only place I have contacts), Apps, everything.

It's interesting to report that I was advised by the Genius people to set the iP4 up as a "new phone" and I've heard the Apple staff give that advice more than once. I don't know why.

As I don't sync anything except Apps & Photos and as I don't have a copy of my Contacts anywhere else, I decided to ignore the advice and set it up from "Restore from Backup". Glad I did.

You'll probably know that "Edit - Preferences - Devices" will tell you when the phone was last backed up.

You can find your backup file in C:jon12345\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup. The file carries the date it was first set up not when it was last updated. Updates are incremental and overwrite(otherwise presumably they'd take hours to do).

I wonder if you've accidentally moved or renamed the backup folder? Might be worth doing a search.

Anyway, hope you've got it sorted now.

12. bransoj

bransoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    Not entirely sure why.....i had mine changed at an Apple Store, i just backed up before i went and then restored when i got back and it was exactly the same as it was prior to the change. I didnt have to do any fiddling with folders etc or manually selecting apps.

13. dwhite

dwhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,805
    I wonder if its to do with if you have manually managed music and videos selected? If this is set it may not automatically backup some information as you have chosen to manually handle this?

To the OP - do you use this option? Anybody else who successfully restored use this option?

14. williamus

williamus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Yes - I manually manage my music and only sync my Apps and photos but when I restore from backup the new phone is set up as an exact replica of the old phone. Manually managing music doesn't affect the process at all...

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  15. dwhite

dwhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,805
    Oh well just a thought.

16. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,847
    Same here - I always use manually manage music and video as a) all my music won't fit on the iPhone and b) I don't put any video content on it, and like the above poster, it's never caused me a problem