1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backing up DVD's

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by peve3, Dec 16, 2004.

1. peve3

peve3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    How do you go about backing up your DVD collection on your HCPC ?

What software do you need ?

I wanted something where i could just put the DVD in the DVDRW, and click go and the Software does the rest, how are you lot going about doing this >?

2. yoyoman

yoyoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Embarker

Embarker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    DVD Shrink 3.2 is one of the more popular freeware software programs.

Very easy to use and you can rip just the film and dump subtitles and unwanted audio tracks as well. If you feel confident, cutting out the end credits can save you another 400mb.

4. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    I use DVD shrink, its excellent - cutting out the credits is a doddle and I do that on every rip.

Occasionally a slightly dirty/scratched disc won't be read properly by DVD Shrink but will sometimes work with DVD Decrpyter so its worth having both installed.

You need something like PowerDVD/WinDVD to watch films back if you're ripping to hard drive (WMP doesn't work), I had problems with PowerDVD and PAL discs as they always contained a lot of flicker. I've switched to zoom player pro (+ffdshow) now and the playback is perfect.

You're looking at about 30 mins to rip a film to HD, very easy to do.

5. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    DVD Shrink is awesome, so another vote from me.

I use it for stright copies to the HD with no compression (but removing some audio and the region code) and to compress for use on a single DVD (I wish dual layer disks would hurry up and get cheap!).

Never thought about cutting out the ed credits. Top idea to keep compression to a minimum.

Does anyone use the extra analysis stuff when compressing? Do you find sharp or smooth better?

Cheers
    Marc

6. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    DVD Decrypter definitely to rip the DVD to HD and remove Macro etc. Takes between 5-10 mins on my PC (I admit I have 3 DVD Drives set to Regions 1,2 and 3)

DVD-Shrink or Nero to shrink the DVD to DVD-R size (while ripping out useless soundtracks if necessary). If DVD doesn't need shrinking then burn straight with Nero. I read somewhere that someone thought that compressed DVD's using DVD Shrink looked a little "grainy" but I've not done the comparrison (or noticed too much to be fair)

Personally no probs getting WMP to read DVD (could be a codec thing?) but to be fair, only watch movies on my Denon 3910 :)

7. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I'm a big fan of DVDshrink but try looking for DVD2One. Its compression algorithm is far superior.

8. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    DVDshrink

9. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to say from testing all the front runners, DVD Shrink, DVD X Copy, Clone DVD and DVD2One DVD Shrink (latest version with the extra quality controls) gives the best compression from them all no doubt,

Although if hes wanting to use these on his hard drive a Movie only with no compression is what he wants so does not matter how good the compression is

10. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I haven't tried anything bu DVDShrink, but I have found the extra analysis and the extra enhancement does an excellent job. It does make the ripping time a lot longer, but it does it all in the background quite happily.

Have you found sharp or smooth better?

Cheers
    Marc

11. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I keep it on sharp (Which i believe is default?) as after testing them all i preferred the look of sharp,

12. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Yeah, sharp is the default. I didn't have the patience to try them all on the same disk. Hence the question!

Thanks!

13. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    However, I do have about 5 DVD's that DVDShrink won't compress unless you take loads of stuff off where DVD2One does it easily. Sometime I've ran a DVD through Shrink twice and the quality is awful. If you run it through DVD2One then the quality is better. Another thing I've found is that if you get the files to your HD first then DVDShrink will do a better job on compression. I don't know if its against the rules to mention the DVD's in question because I got suspended on another forum.

14. Embarker

Embarker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    DVD Shrink is quick, without compression or the extra audio tracks, subtitles and credit removed and with it NOT working in the background, it took just over 11 mins to do a superbit dvd with a final file size of over 6.5gb. Transfer rate kept climbing to nearly 10,000 kb/s at the end. :zonked:

Now that is quick :thumbsup: :smashin:

If as said above you reauthor a ripped DVD it takes a few mins as the transfer rate jumps to over 37,000 kb/s :eek: :eek:

Well worth doing if you do store lot of DVD's on your hard drive that had not be stripped down.

15. 1080 jawbreaker

1080 jawbreaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +623
    dvdshrinks algo is far superior to dvd2one.

If money is no object then Cinema Craft Encoder and Procoder are the ways to go. The latter is not fore the faint hearted :D

16. waz2004

waz2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    how much memory is taken up on a hard drive if you record as an example 1 hour of movie from dvd. i take it you can save it in normal state or as a compressed state which affect the memory used. it is just i am thinking of buying a 80Gb external drive. is this sufficient for just saving a file, edit it if required and record onto dvd. my main purpose it to make a copy of kid's purchased dvds for own use only. it is just that when i buy new dvd movie for the kids they are too young to handle it with care and sometimes end up with scratches on it. i plan to give them a copy so if they damage it i have a master and don't have to fork out £x for a new one. It is amazing how many times they watch spiderman without getting bored.

17. sniffer66

sniffer66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    I use Elbys clonedvd2 and have never had a failure or bad copy.

I like the single click and done interface. I have a dvd rom drive and a dvd writer and I juts put a blank in the writer and the master in the reader - 30 minutes job done :)