Backing Up DVD Hard Drive Help

deeplyblue

Established Member
Reaction score
Can I back up a DVD hard drive to a computer or external HDD? The actual DVD drive has gone belly up, and I want to save some of the stuff on the HDD before returning it for mending. It hasn't got a USB link.

db

probably not, as hard drives in DVD recorders are usually encoded in a certain way so cannot be read by a computer (thus preventing you from exchanging the hard drive for a larger capacity one, which they obviously don't want you to do).

if you tell us the make and model of the DVD recorder there may be someone who knows if it is possible.

I'm afraid that the eventual answer turn out to be "tough luck", but here is some more info. Any suggestions gratefully received.

if you tell us the make and model of the DVD recorder there may be someone who knows if it is possible.

there are more details on a previous post:

My earlier description

Under other circs, I would get into the machine and see if I could get the HDD out and perhaps do a bitwise dump. However, this is likely to get a poor reaction :nono: as/when I take it back to JL under the guarantee to get the DVD problem solved.

I had thought of trying to transfer things to another recorder via a SCART lead, but that means buying another HDD recorder, and then accepting that it will take hours and hours and hours to get the progs copied over.

And we're trying to move house, when all the legal problems are settled, so I already have enough hassle.

I was thinking of getting a new Media PC in a few months' time (for new house - see above!) but I can't see that such a thing would help very much. Do they have SCART connections? Might a Media PC be able to do a full HDD transfer?

db

one way to do this would be to use a dazzle or easycap adapter , play the stuff on the hdd and use the scart to usb adapter to record onto your pc hard drive in avi or mpeg format

another would be to borrow a dvd or hdd recorder and press play on the faulty machine and record on the other

I suppose a media centre may work but havent got one myself as I use a sony 970b which would do the job from its line1 or line2 inputs

I have, I think, found a partial answer, which I'm posting in case it helps anyone else. My DVD recorder is, at the moment, willing to record to DVD-RAM, without the horrible graunching noise with which it greets all other formats and makes of DVD. This isn't wonderful, as only another Panny is going to play it back, and they are more expensive, but it is providing a way of doing emergency backup for my internal hard drive.

db

one way to do this would be to use a dazzle or easycap adapter , play the stuff on the hdd and use the scart to usb adapter to record onto your pc hard drive in avi or mpeg format

Thanks for the suggestion, I shall probably look into it as soon as I have enough time on my own machine to get a new process going.

another would be to borrow a dvd or hdd recorder and press play on the faulty machine and record on the other.

I'm trying that out, but it's very slow as you can only do it at the pace of the original recording.

I suppose a media centre may work but havent got one myself as I use a sony 970b which would do the job from its line1 or line2 inputs

The introduction of media centre technology is also on the list - but No Just Yet.

Thanks for the ideas

db

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom