Backing up data?

ineedamonk

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, planning on selling my 360 S 250gb. Only thing is I'll probably be buying one again in future so don't know what to do with regards to saving my data (game saves) so I can wipe the HDD prior to selling.

Are game saves saved to a cloud now or do I need to manually copy them to another storage device? Cheers!

I think you need tyo move them to the 'cloud' storage device whihc is created when you set it up

I think its 512mb.... i recommend just uploading the latest save for each game

One thing ive not worked out yet is as cloud saves are gold only what happens if you goto to silver are these deleted from the cloud....

The other sure fire way would be to copy the saves onto a usb stick and keep that as the xbox can use a usb stick as a memory device for saves!

Don't have a USB flash drive, would an external HDD work if I just plugged that into the USB?

Don't have a USB flash drive, would an external HDD work if I just plugged that into the USB?

Yes but the xbox formats it and restricts the xbox part to 8gb or 16gb i think (you may also lost whats on the hdd already). havnt done it for a long time so cant remember!

I know you can reformat the hdd afterwards when finished with the saves to its original aize as i did that afterwards

Last edited:
Yes but the xbox formats it and restricts the xbox part to 8gb or 16gb i think (you may also lost whats on the hdd already). havnt done it for a long time so cant remember!

I know you can reformat the hdd afterwards when finished with the saves to its original aize as i did that afterwards

Losing what's already on the external HDD isn't an option as it's 1TB and half full as I use it for PC backups etc.

Rather than formatting the entire device, you can choose anywhere from 1-16GB of space to set aside on it for use as a 360 storage device. Plug it into the console, go to Storage, click on the drive, then choose the Customise option and move the slider to choose how much space you want to configure and then press A.

Rather than formatting the entire device, you can choose anywhere from 1-16GB of space to set aside on it for use as a 360 storage device. Plug it into the console, go to Storage, click on the drive, then choose the Customise option and move the slider to choose how much space you want to configure and then press A.

Ah thought that might be an option somehow. Will give it a go later, thanks!

Thinking about it, that's probably not going to work as your 1TB drive is likely formatted to NTFS.

What you would probably need to do is create a FAT32 partition on the drive first. There's a number of free apps available on the web to do that.

Thinking about it, that's probably not going to work as your 1TB drive is likely formatted to NTFS.

What you would probably need to do is create a FAT32 partition on the drive first. There's a number of free apps available on the web to do that.

Yeah just plugged it into the xbox and both options will result in formatting the whole thing. Will try the FAT32 partition.

EDIT: Most partition programs seem to need to format the whole HDD so don't really want to risk losing what's already on it. Put everything on the cloud but a bit worried about what'll happen when my gold subscription runs out.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Or if you have a USB stick say 4GB and you have 20GB of data, just manually back up 5 times and store it on your laptop. I always put a back up on a stick and on my laptop.:smashin:

And how are you transferring these to your computer hmmm? :p

PS revealing that would be breaking rules :D

And how are you transferring these to your computer hmmm? :p

PS revealing that would be breaking rules :D
I don't see how it's breaking any rules.

All of the data is stored on a hidden folder on the USB stick. Plug it into your PC, enable the viewing of hidden files/folders, then you'll see the folder and you can copy it to your hard drive.

@ineedamonk - Try GParted.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom