1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backing up CDs

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by jian, Oct 31, 2004.

1. jian

jian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hi

I want to backup my CDs before it's too late (getting tatty) and want to know what the best software for this is. Is there any particular piece of software out there thay will give me identical recordings of the originals, or are they all the same?

Also, can anyone recommend a good CDR? I'm using Verbatim Super Azo at the moment, and I notice that the sound quality isn't as good as the original. I'm using a Plextor Premium CDR drive.

Thanks.

2. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Somewhere there is a thread that ran for a while about this very subject. It discussed if recording to CD was as good as the original. My home results differed from one of the other forum users. He ended up sending me a disc, I honestly couldnt tell the difference, but I wasnt familiar with the music. However I could definitely detect the difference using my PC and my own music.

Do a search, its bound to appear, it was sometime during spring/ early summer I think .

3. jian

jian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Thanks mate, I'll do that!

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,489
    Nero is all right for making backups.

5. DazJWood

DazJWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is no difference between a copied CD and an original. Not unless any conversions have happened in between recordings (ie, encoded from CD to MP3 then back again to CD).

When you copy a CD to another CD it is copied digitally with no conversion (no digital to analogue conversion takes place). So there is no difference in quality at all.

The only factor you get which may appear to indicate a difference in quality is the media (and sometimes burning speed which is related to the media too). If the media is of low quality or is played in a player that does not read CDRs particularly well then this can result in inferior playback. This is not due to loosing quality in recording.

The majority of new players will play mostly any discs but it's still wise to pay a few pence extra for a branded disc. The cheap mirrored discs aren't particularly long lasting and the dyes used to produce them don't seem to stay intact as well as the branded discs.

6. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I just bought a new pc and was surprised to read that due to the way the audio is transferred from the cd there will be a loss of quality and clicking/popping sounds become present. The software will do its best to remove these but does not do a perfect job. (I believe this was in the media player help files.)

I imagine standalone cd recorders do not have this problem.

7. jian

jian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I've always understood digital to be a technology that allowed perfect copies, since, as DazJWood says, no conversion is taking place.

However, I often hear debates centering on which software package is the best for making copies and that was the impetus for my question.

I'm using one of the best quality CDRs around, but unfortunately, the sound quality is clearly inferior to the original.

8. Martian Phil

Martian Phil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    put Clone CD into Google...Top program.