Backing up a NAS..

sjw

My trusty Synology DS412+ started beeping earlier..
For some reason, earlier on, Disk 4 went to 'not initialized'. I removed and reseated it but it was still the same.
It has 4 x 3TB WD reds in it, set to SHR so 8ish TB of usable storage.

I've set it to Repair and it's getting on with it so fingers crossed...
It wouldn't be a complete disaster to lose the whole array but would be a huuuuge pain. I do have other backups of important things like photos, music etc.
However, maybe I should take the opportunity to get the NAS itself backed up too.
I was thinking of just a single, large HDD - say 10TB. I wouldn't keep it plugged in and would connect it when I need to.
Things like upgrading PS4 storage I've done before and it was that way where you can buy an HDD in an enclosure for less than the price of a bare HDD. Having a quick look around it looks to be similar for these larger drives too?
How does this sound as a backup option? It looks like Amazon do a 10TB WD external drive for £159.99.
I currently use Syno's own Hyper Backup to take a backup of a couple of Shares on the NAS (as a third backup!) but not sure if that's really a good tool to use - is there another App recommended - even PC based?
This way I'll at least have a 'single' disk to think about, instead of the fair few odd HDD's I'm making use of now from over the years...
Cheers.

jimscreechy

Yes backing up your NAS is an essential practice many people neglect to do... something the importance of which becomes all too clear when data is lost.

I think your choice is a good one. 10TB WD External won't backup particularly quickly but it will do the job for a very reasonable price. I actually use the 12TB version for this exact same thing. Amazon often do these on sale, which is when I bought my last batch, so its a good saving. I do a backup once a month, then park them on he self with the satisfaction of knowing all will not be lost.

I've bought about 12 of these WD elements drives over the years, the first being the 3tb version which I still use for backing up my desktop, and they are still going strong. I did have one arrive DOA, which of course Amazon swapped out next day, but they are good drives for backing up data.

Des911

Standard Member
You still have all your data in one physical location; if anything happens (fire, flood, etc) you lose everything.
Two simple extensions to your external HDD method - have 2 drives and rotate them to another location so that the most you can lose is one backup sequence;
and/or backup data to cloud storage every now and then.
I should do the same...

no1jam

Standard Member
+1 for backing up NAS. Definitely a good practice, or all that hard work can go to waste and be a painful process to recover. You will only make the mistake of not backing it up once ;)

mickevh

Distinguished Member
I often suggest that "backup" is more of a regime than some particular piece of technology. I take a holistic approach by deciding what data I need to back up, what risks I am trying to mitigate, which thence informs things like how often to make a backup, how many generations to keep, how long to retain them, where (physically) to retain them, how much I'm prepared to pay and so on which then informs the choice of solution required.

BTW - RAID is NOT backup.

no1jam

Standard Member
I often suggest that "backup" is more of a regime than some particular piece of technology. I take a holistic approach by deciding what data I need to back up, what risks I am trying to mitigate, which thence informs things like how often to make a backup, how many generations to keep, how long to retain them, where (physically) to retain them, how much I'm prepared to pay and so on which then informs the choice of solution required.

BTW - RAID is NOT backup.

A good strategy. Good planning can pay off in the long run.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom