Backing up a HDR/PVR

kzmx

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I'm on the verge of buying a new Hard Drive Recorder/PVR. The dealbreaker for me is being able to export/backup the recordings to view on a computer etc.

I've noticed that quite a few models have a USB socket, but can this generally be used for plugging an external HDD? If anyone can name a machine where this is possible, that would be great.

Even better would be something with a SCART input, then I could use to dump old VHS videos onto to the recorder too. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Hi everyone

I'm on the verge of buying a new Hard Drive Recorder/PVR. The dealbreaker for me is being able to export/backup the recordings to view on a computer etc.

I've noticed that quite a few models have a USB socket, but can this generally be used for plugging an external HDD? If anyone can name a machine where this is possible, that would be great.

Even better would be something with a SCART input, then I could use to dump old VHS videos onto to the recorder too. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Some PVR's will allow limited transfer of material to a PC by a variety of methods... I'll leave it for other members to tell you which ...but note that generally, HD material no matter where it is stored is usually only playable on the machine on which it was recorded - and if that machine dies, so do the recordings.

PVR's in general are technically incapable of recording any external sources so it is impossible to feed in from a VCR.
For that kind of functionality you require a DVD recorder or a BDR.

You can backup SD and HD recordings from the Humax HDR FOX-T2 via USB - the HD recordings are encrypted and so will only play on the same machine but you can use Foxy or install some custom hardware which will decrypt HD recordings for playing on a PC or other machines.

You can backup SD and HD recordings from the Humax HDR FOX-T2 via USB - the HD recordings are encrypted and so will only play on the same machine but you can use Foxy or install some custom hardware which will decrypt HD recordings for playing on a PC or other machines.

Custom software.

;)

Thanks for the posts so far, It does seem that the options for backing up/archiving TV are pretty much limited to the Humax T2 as mentioned above or a PVR with integrated DVD/Blu-ray recorder. I'm presently retiring my Freeview (SD only) DVD recorder and it has been incredibly tedious dumping its contents onto DVDs - I don't want to go through it again!

The only other option is a PC with a DVB-T card; but this seems like a lot of effort to me, plus the PC will have to be left on all the time.

Hmmmmmmmmm.........

Last edited:
Thought I'd give my thread a bump as I'm on the verge of buying a hard drive recorder :)

Aside from the Humax mentioned above, I haven't yet found any other hard disk recorders that allow back up to PC/external hard drive (I know Sony models allow backup, but this is only playable if the backup drive is plugged into the Sony. All I want to is keep some TV programs, beyond the life of whichever recorder I choose!

Any suggestions very welcome.

Thought I'd give my thread a bump as I'm on the verge of buying a hard drive recorder :)

Aside from the Humax mentioned above, I haven't yet found any other hard disk recorders that allow back up to PC/external hard drive (I know Sony models allow backup, but this is only playable if the backup drive is plugged into the Sony. All I want to is keep some TV programs, beyond the life of whichever recorder I choose!

Any suggestions very welcome.

Hi,

Humax T2
with modified FW can be backed up - SD and HD, via USB and FTP. USB EXT2/3 formatted HDD required for files greater than 4GB.

DigitalStream DHR can export to USB HDD (>160GB) formatted to XFS by the DHR - SD is clear while HD is encrypted but can be read by other DHR at the same level FW or later. XFS format can be read by Linux systems and my Buffalo NAS - One method is to boot a PC using a Live CD of Ubuntu or PartedMagic or similar and transfer files as desired. I attach my archive HDD to my NAS and copy any files needed that way.

The 3View can be backed up via ethernet and a slightly exotic method involving UPnP, ethernet and a PC with XBMC. The method is a bit elaborate to set up initially and files transferred have alphanumeric stream-names that have to be edited to reflect contents after transfer (or transferred to pre named folders one at a time ????????)

Fetch can backup SD as far as I remember.

SONY encrypt SD and HD for original machine only and use XFS.

Others ??????

Pete

I've just bought the Humax HDR FOX-T2 which I have installed the custom firmware

With the custom firmware, you can:-

1. read/copy the recordings of the Humax disk via a network share on your PC using Windows Explorer or/and FTP program

2. decrypt HighDef recordings so that they can be accessed for points 1, 3 and 4

3. read/copy the recordings of the Humax disk via a neat web interface on your PC

4. copy recordings to external hard drive

Humax T2
with modified FW can be backed up - SD and HD, via USB and FTP. USB EXT2/3 formatted HDD required for files greater than 4GB.
Thanks Pete. Do you mean the external HDD needs to be formatted NTFS if files > 4GB? Also, do you think the T2 is smart enough to spot if the drive is partitioned? I have a large USB external HDD, I plan to keep part of it for my PC backups, and dedicate part to backing up the recorder.

The T2 seems to a clear winner. It has mostly positive reviews, whereas most rival recorders don't (irrespective of their backup options). It's amazing that more recorders don't allow easy backup. I know companies don't want us copying movies etc but a lot of content (eg. the BBC) we've already paid for!

Thanks Pete. Do you mean the external HDD needs to be formatted NTFS if files > 4GB? Also, do you think the T2 is smart enough to spot if the drive is partitioned? I have a large USB external HDD, I plan to keep part of it for my PC backups, and dedicate part to backing up the recorder.

The T2 seems to a clear winner. It has mostly positive reviews, whereas most rival recorders don't (irrespective of their backup options). It's amazing that more recorders don't allow easy backup. I know companies don't want us copying movies etc but a lot of content (eg. the BBC) we've already paid for!

Hi

I think the T2 only reads NTFS (maybe the modified FW adds write ???)

People use Linux Format EXT2 or EXT3 to get larger file sizes. There are Windows progs (freeware) to allow reading these formats. Someone will probably say the favourite.

Expert needed for HDR T2 partition support !

Pete

Hi

People use Linux Format EXT2 or EXT3 to get larger file sizes. There are Windows progs (freeware) to allow reading these formats. Someone will probably say the favourite.

Pete

Correct the HDR FOX T2 can only read NTFS. Humax boxes use EXT3.

The HDR FOX T2 will format a usb drive of up to 1TB in EXT3 for you. Not sure about larger disc support.

EXT2FSD gives read write capability for EXT3 in windows

Ext2Fsd Project

The free version of Easeus Partition manager for windows can partition HDD's and format EXT3.

Hi

Pete

Correct the HDR FOX T2 can only read NTFS. Humax boxes use EXT3.

The HDR FOX T2 will format a usb drive of up to 1TB in EXT3 for you. Not sure about larger disc support or archive drives with partitions in different FS.

EXT2FSD gives read write capability for EXT3 in windows

Ext2Fsd Project

The free version of Easeus Partition manager for windows can partition HDD's and format EXT3.

Sorry for the double post don't know my edit from my quote - ooer.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom