background internet bandwidth?

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
Hi

I just got a HTC desire S contract phone, its a big leap from my nokia 6200!

only thing is, as i am a light user i have the O2 basic plan.... £13.50 a month with 50 min, 250 texts and 100mb BB.

currently i have disabled my mobile internet however stuff like my voice recognition does not work when i am out of my home wifi network.

2 questions,

1) so long as i dont start downloading files and surfing on the phone, will 100mb be enough for keeping software uptodate and for voice recognition on text messages.

2) If i allow the phone access to the mobile internet, is it intelligent enough to use any wifi it can connect to in preference to using my mobile broadband? no point using my bandwidth if i can use my home or work connection.

Thanks

Mike.

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
Always do all sofware/application updates when your phone is connected to your home broadband, this way you save bandwith.

I wouldn't recommend setting your phone to connect to every wifi out there for security reasons. If your automatically connects to a dodgy wifi network they can get most of your data out of your phone including passwords, bank details, etc. Always use only known wifi networks.

There was a bit about that in TV even not long ago. Guy set up a wifi in shopping mall using his laptop and mobile router and in few minutes he had couple of people connected to the network. He could download their data, access their text messages or even make phonecalles using their mobie without them knowing about it. They can also name their wifi however they want, for example BT Bubble or whatever is called their free wifi.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom