Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Background hiss

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by NickE27, Feb 21, 2004.

1. NickE27

NickE27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I recently bought a Goodmans HEC17 home cinema system. Its great apart from the background hiss when using the digital output. When I use the 2 channel output (which uses pro logic II I think) there is very little background hiss however, with the digital (dolby digital 5.1) the background hiss is much louder. At first I didn't really notice it but now that I have noticed it it really annoys me. Would getting a digital coaxial cable help? The digital output is for digital coaxial but right now im just using a standard coaxial cable.
    Thanks,
    Nick

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,823
    I doubt very much that a different cable will have any effect on hiss. Not wanting to appear like an AV snob, but I guess that and all-in-one which retails at about GBP130 isn't going to be perfect audiophile stuff. I suspect it is a limitation of the DD processor. Of course, if you can compare yours with another - and the other is less noisy, it might indicate that yours is deficient.

3. NickE27

NickE27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, thanks for the quick reply :D. Do you know why it's only a problem with dolby digital 5.1 and not pro logic II?

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,823
    Guesses that the shortcoming is in the DD processor - which is only used for (you guessed it) DD, and not for DPL2.