Background darken.....

Chubster

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just mucking about with camera again and took this......and actually quite like it. :D

How would I darken the background out ??

Roarrrrrrrrrrr by ob1chubster, on Flickr

Looks like you have - it's the Iforeground I can still see :devil:

Don't know what PP apps you haver access to but try downloading thetrial version of Lightroom 3 and in the library module try just using the "black recovery" option - sometimes that's enough but if it's not than try the adjustment brush set for -ve exposure adjustment in the develop module and use it to paint over the bit you want to darken.... or you can use the brush in "healing" (cloning really) mode to sort it out...

Others will suggest how to do it in Photoshop CS or Elements I'm sure....

JIm

I would be very cautious about using the black recovery tool, as it will also darken all the blacks between the hairs on the foreground image, which will reduce a lot of the impact.

I would instead use a brush tool to paint in around the edges, with feathering to give a smooth gradient back to the original image at the centre - it'll take some trial and error to get it right without impacting on the dog. Not at my PC at the moment, but will give it a look tonight or tomorrow.

I would also advise some caution with the burn tool as it will tend to increase the saturation of colours as well as darken.

Last edited:
Simple black brush tool. I also added a slim border.
dog.jpg

either my contrast is too high or yours is too low, because I can't see a background on either image.

There's not on mine but there definitely is on the first. monitor calibration time methinks :)

Use this if you don't have access to a proper colorimeter: LCD monitor test images

Pete - I take it you're referring to the horizontal feature to the right of the side of the dog's head ?

TBH I actually thought at first the OP was referring to making the cushion in front of/around the paws dark :facepalm:

JIm

Yeah, and on the left there's the top of a cushion with vertical coloured stripes.

I'll admit it's been a couple of months since I calibrated my monitor, so it's possible I'm out of course.

Last edited:
Yeah, and on the left there's the top of a cushion with vertical coloured stripes.

I'll admit it's been a couple of months since I calibrated my monitor, so it's possible I'm out of course.

Yep - just make those out too

Jim

Excellent Pete....Just what I was after. I will give it a go in PSPX3 and see if I can replicate. :smashin:

Cool, like it Pirate....so does Archie :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom