1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

back with 2K to spend, need best image

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Matty N, May 11, 2003.

1. Matty N

Matty N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

this marks a return for me to the avforums (now i've found them again) and on a welcome note of spending money!

So, the budget's £2000 (max really) and I need a video projector (dlp/lcd) to last for a couple of years until i move house (again).

Any input?

Cheers all,

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    having sen and owned quite a few now I would say that for £2000 your best bet would be a Sony HS10. saw one last weekend and have to say I was VERY impressed. Only downer for me is throw distance (it has a long throw) and (potentially) fan noise as it sits directly above my head.

You could spend less on a Z1 or AE300 but believe the extra £500 or so is justified and would not disappoint.

Good luck.

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agreed, I don't think anything comes close to the HS10 at/near the £2k mark.

The sub £2k area is well saturated with respected PJs - AE300, Z1 etc...

The HS10 has DVI which is HDCP compliant too & accepts 1:1 pixel mapping from a HCPC (if that's your thing) - looks superb. Also is stunning with HD material & with the fast approach of HD DVD, WMP9 Hi Def material etc... looks the safest bet to last a few years.

BTW, I'm a (very happy) HS10 owner.

Welcome (back ;) ) to the forums.

4. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I agree with everything said about the HS10 here. But I would advise you to go and listen (yea, you heard me right) to one for your self with "High Altitude" mode switched on. This will let you hear the fans at their loudest which is what mine switches to if I even have a hint of heating on in the house. I have mine in another room firing through a hole in the wall so it's not a problem for me but I would definately be very very disappointed if I needed to have it in the same room.

The picture quality from a HCPC is really excellent

Conor

5. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly the same as mine :eek:

Fans speed up if I even think of switching on heating. I could swear they sped (?) up one night when someone used a cigarette lighter in the room :D

I, like you am removing it from the viewing room :smashin:

6. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I, unfortunately, do not have that option :mad: (as I doubt the HS10 is weather proof :)) so am still looking for something with the HS10 quality for a similar price. Closest so far are the new TW100 (not out yet) or HT1000 (but 4:3 panel). Geez, why is this so hard. Thanks Epson!!

7. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Hi,

I can only echo everyone elses comments, I have a HS10 fed a DVI 1:1 pixel mapped image from a HTPC, and the picture quality is superb. I also have mine projeting from another room, so noise is not an issue. Go and have a look, I am sure you will be impressed.

Cheers

Rob

8. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Sorry to go off tpoic but have u any pictures of your setup Rob. I would love to see what you've done

Conor

9. Matty N

Matty N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for all the advice guys. I had a hitachi xga before which was quite noisy but bearable over the gurgle from the black boxes! However, picture was not so good, although it did have a short throw.

I don't have the exterior mount facility (unless I build a second conservatory out the front, and the one out the back has caused me enough trouble!) so i'm stuck with the noise directly overhead. Is it a big issue (i'm always cold so room is usually warm ish)? How about hush boxes to wrap around ceiling mount?

Thanks again,