• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Back up?

bobbymax

Where does every one back- up there precious pictures to?

eduk

Distinguished Member
Where does every one back- up there precious pictures to?

Two hard disks in my PC, Microsoft Synctoy keeps the folders in sync.

Johnmcl7

Distinguished Member
To a couple of external drives (one portable one I keep with me) and a NAS box.

John

bobbymax

Interesting.
Is it worth or any good using On-line storage??

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Like others I use two hard disks in my PC, an external drive, and my NAS.

Online storage wouldn't be any good for me, I have about 70gb of photos. Easier for me to backup to an external and pop it round my parents. :)

RajP

Distinguished Member
I store all mine on my main PC drive which are then backed up to my Nas and also my server at home. The entire lot is backed up online with carbonite. I have around 360gb stored there. Works very well for me.

eduk

Distinguished Member
I store mine a 5.25in floppy disks.

bobbymax

What's all the fuss about icloud?
Probably an irrelevant question as I don't have a Mac, but thought I'd ask anyway.:rolleyes:

johnmc

I store mine a 5.25in floppy disks.
:D:smashin:

I have 2 copies on pc (different drives), a copy on Nas in garage. every so often I copy the latest batch onto a hard drive and put it in storage in my outlaws . ;)

The icloud thing relies on Fast Broadband upstream and down. what happens if you lose bb connection?
( be ok for extra extra backup)

Last edited:

bstonehouse

I store all mine on my main PC drive which are then backed up to my Nas and also my server at home. The entire lot is backed up online with carbonite. I have around 360gb stored there. Works very well for me.

I am thinking of using this - but I don't have unlimited download limit on my ISP, I guess I would blow that if I needed to restore a large library. I guess taking the backup would be OK as it is uploading.

RajP

Distinguished Member
:D:smashin:

I have 2 copies on pc (different drives), a copy on Nas in garage. every so often I copy the latest batch onto a hard drive and put it in storage in my outlaws . ;)

The icloud thing relies on Fast Broadband upstream and down. what happens if you lose bb connection?
( be ok for extra extra backup)

Yes a fast BB connection is a boon and I have BT infinity installed is great for this reason... I can also download the files from anywhere... though downloading 300 gig would take a while!!!:devil:

Johnmcl7

Distinguished Member
Interesting.
Is it worth or any good using On-line storage??

I think it depends on how much you want to store, my full photo backup is 370GB (original raws, original jpegs and processed jpegs) and my video backup (original AVCHD and various transcoded files) is 145GB so for a full backup it's too much to do online at least feasibly for me as it would take a lot of time to maintain and a long time to download it all if needed.

John

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom