1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back-Up Utility PC Problem?

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by PhilB1234, Jul 4, 2004.

1. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd be grateful for any feedback anyone can give on an issue with the back-up utility I'm having....
    Since changing to a new laptop the back-up utility fails to get a response from the AV32dp and just keeps on retrying. I fully expect this to be a PC based problem as, for instance, there is a USB>Serial convertor used.

Does this sound like a PC fault, or is there smething I can do to force a boot response from the processor.....

Hoping to back-up before doing some more TMREQing!

2. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Phil.

What make of USB to Serial adapter are you using? Where did you get it from?

To see if data is coming through go into hyperterminal, set the serial port up as 115K, 8bits, No Partity, 1 stop bit, no flow control. With the AV switched on turn the volume knob up and down as that generates lots of messages on the bus. You should see lots of encoded data appear in hyperterminal. If not there is an issue on the reception side. If that works then try sending a few commands down like "TMA ?" to see if the unit will respond. If it doesn't respond then it's probably something dodgy on the transmit side.

If the whole thing is dead then I suspect that the tagtronic adapter is not getting any power from the serial port to make it tick. The circuit is powered primarily from the DTR pin on the serial port. If you have a multimeter you could check to see if there is any power on it.

3. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow! Could that be the most thorough answer ever posted?!?

That's great, thanks Steve. The adaptor is from ebuyer:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=40608
    which I'd seen one or two others suggest after success with their TMA equipment.
    I've had a dozens of PC problems after updating Windows XP (thank you so much Mr Gates), and my Tag equipment has always behaved faultlessly, so I'd put money on it being a PC issue.
    I'll work through your suggestsions and get the multimeter out!!

Thanks again!

4. derekn

derekn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Hi Phil,
    I'm having the same problem with the same item so looking out for your success report. At my current rate of progress I'll never make it to TMREQ!
    Regards,
    Derek

5. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's definitely worth persevering..... The difference when I got my TMREQ set up was like night and day!

6. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    I'll bet on the USB-RS232 converter being a bit iffy and the laptop not being able to supply enough current from its USB port.....My Dell refuses to drive a Lacie firewire mobile drive but does work with the TAG gear and my trusty old Black box USB-RS232 convertor, try your converter on a normal desktop PC, if it works then you have your answer.......

7. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    My money is either DTR isn't driven properly or virtually zilch buffering on RX comms, hence 3 wire serial comms will be very dodgy with buffer overflows.

So Graham, I bet you one pint of beer!

PS. I ordered an adapter up on Sunday as it was so cheap, I'll pull it apart once it arrives. :)

8. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Hi Steve.
    As it costs £5.99 I doubt it does anything properly, do we need an excuse for a beer :beer: :beer:

9. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Guys,

The adapter arrived today so I've done a quicky bit of debugging and the problem is that the Rx hardware buffer in the adapter is 16 bytes in size. The backup data message is 40 bytes and is cranking in at a 115K baud with no flow control. Windows doesn't service the USB device quickly enough so a buffer overflow is occuring in the adapter, resulting in a corrupt TAGTronic message.

I've done a dirty fix for this by decreasing the message down to 15bytes, and hey presto everything now works :) The downside is that it's slower to backup, but on the positive side at least it works!

I'll email a fixed version to IAG as it's up to them if they want to distribute it or not.

10. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Hi Steve.
    Well I'm impressed lets see what IAG do with it. Thing is that won't a similar issue happen with any software update (holding breath) or using the TMREQ wizard with such a device?
    I'd get a USB-RS232 that works as it would save all that programming for free mate....

11. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Steve:

Hate to admit it but I am lost... assuming that I get this adpater to work (i.e. see the e-mail message that I just sent you) should I or should I not expect/theoretically be able to use it to:

1. Upload software.

2. Upload TMREQ results.

3. Download/save my settings.

Clarification would be greatly apprecaited.

Cheers,

Joel

PS. Believe that you will chuckle when you see my e-mail as it is now "obvious" why I could not get the damn thing to load!!!

12. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    For completeness of this thread the adapter is now working on Joels PC ... ahum, helps if I send the right driver disc to him! :blush:

Taxi! :D

13. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Stevesky:

Many thanks for the adapter (as well as the driver to get it installed).

Now that we have this "material hurdle" resolved we are good to go on the debug code. Will wait to get it and related instructions from you.

Cheers,

Joel

14. TaxHamster

TaxHamster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    If you contact the IAG helpdesk, they should be able to provide you with an "official" IAG version....

15. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    For what it is worth... I spoke to the HelpDesk today and was advised, as inthe past, that there is no "official" USB To Serial adapter as it is very much a case of "hit and miss" as there are issues between desktops vs laptos, manufacturers, etc.

Cheers,

Joel

16. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I think TaxHamster (whoever it is ? :) ) meant something else.

Apart from that,
    Joel, I can remember you're having troubles with USB/Serial convertor since months.
    Basically only Corean FTDI company makes all posibilities of USB/Serial transfer possible. Any convertor with their chip works fine, most of the others have issues (some affect TAG transfer, some do not). I am telling this from experience, since I have very complicated application (at work) that requires maximum bidirectional use out of USB/Serial convertors. We tried many (and this means MANY) of them and only those with FTDI chips covered everything.

17. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Miron:

Can you please post/send the URL for that USB to Serial converter.

TIA,

Joel

18. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Hi Joel,
    You will have to google out retail product that uses their chip (many of them, HP use it too).
    I can only give you http://www.ftdichip.com/
    Take a look , maybe there is something there too that points to the users of their technology.
    My advice would also be to go for short version of 15cm or so, it simply does not hang around...a

19. TaxHamster

TaxHamster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Joel,

I was referring to the IAG version of the backup application that was more friendly towards these USB<>RS232 converters with smaller buffer sizes. rather than a specific adaptor.

HTH

20. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joel, you can also download it now from "Helpdesk" section (previously known as "Contact" section) of IAG page.

The interesting point is that there is no TMA mention there anymore, but Audiolab. Sort of confirmation what new name would be.

Now it's only up to IAG to make Audiolab version of AV32RDP with HDMI, IEEE1394 and TMREQ for 5.1 bypass with 16:9 TFT screen on the front and Graham will sleep well when he's back

:)

21. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5

Plump, what is it that you are suggesting that I download? If there is something that I missed in re-reading the thread and there is something that I should download... many thanks for pointing me in the proper direction.

Cheers,

Joel

22. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joel, better ask Tax Hamster or Garfield, they know it better :) .
    I see no reason why not the latest IAG version.