1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back up software/hard ware combination

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by sapper, Oct 7, 2005.

1. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Just a quick question,

What is the best way of backing up software and more improtantly data files from a PC these days with out a RAID away.

Seems there are several options;

• buy an exteranl usb hard drive and copy files across manully.. tedious and not efficient.
    • Use a third party software package, windows back up facility (XP) did not seem to be that good.
    • Buy a system such as the one touch from maxtor and use the hardware/software to back up files.

I would appreciate any comments, experiences etc.

Oh one more thought, query?

What is the best way of recording segments of a DVD onto hard drive, There are a couple of scense Id like to insert into a presentation. I could connect it up as a VHS player to record, but is there a way of doing it directly from the Pc?

What is the best video capture software?

Adrian

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The back strategy you use can largely depend on what you're trying to protect from.

For example, I use Norton Ghost to backup my C: because I want to be able to recover from bad software installations, boot partition failures etc. The resulting image is also usable as a file-by-file recovery too.

From time to time I'll burn an image to DVD for extra safety.

For data partitions I use a second disk, sometimes a network disk sometimes a removeable (USB) disk, together with some simplistic back software such as Second Copy or Handy Backup.

As for your DVD question, not sure what sort of 'production' you're referring to but there are DVD editing packages such as DVD Remake Pro that I think can slice-and-dice DVDs, and something like DVD Shrink can be used to extract specific sections (albeit one at a time) into stand-alone playable DVD file sets.

3. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
  4. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +336
    Internal hdd's are still cheaper than external, so if you have the capacity to add an extra one, you can just keep copies of all your important data on it.

If it is just data you can copy and paste, if it is whole partitions and installations you can use something like Norton Ghsot to take mirror images.

lisa

5. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    the Pc in question has a 40 gig C drive and an 80 gig secondary drive, which is almost full mainly from jpegs, I tend to use my digital camera(s) on max quality permamently.

the other option is to purchase and build a nother PC with a large SATA array within in.

Adrian

PS Lisa,

i need to get back into the media expereicne on get my media box up to date...

6. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,272
    I'm also a big fan of One-touch external drives, at <50p per gig you can't really argue about value.... DVD's cost that much not so long ago..!

The software that comes with the Maxtor One-Touch drives is just what you're looking for. You can do either incremental or full backups at the touch of a button, or based on a schedule... and the removeable device means your backup can be kept seperately to the PC.. using an internal drive as a backup device is not a good idea really...

External drives are a superior solution to DLT drives even IMHO, fantastic stuff.

7. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Okay, at this stage a one touch system seems the key, thanks for this.

However which is the preferred system, looking at soem of the revews on ebuyer etc, the maxtor do have mixed reviews, whislt the seagate do not seem to have any, not that I could find at least.

Any preference?

Adrian

8. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,272
    I've only ever used the maxtors, and haven't read any reviews of others, but I have 6 maxtors and will def. be buying more as the need arises..

9. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I've used both maxtor and seagate for internal drives and I prefer my seagates, maxtors just generally sound clunky, hopefully the same will apply for external drives.