Back up iTunes

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by lukers88, Jan 3, 2012.

1. lukers88

lukers88
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all
    My laptop is getting quite old now and I am worried about loosing my everything from iTunes. Is it already backed up or do I need to back it u? If so how do I back it up?
    Thanks in advance

2. maf1970

maf1970

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    Assuming a default install of iTunes you will need to back up everything in the iTunes folder under MyMusic in MyDocuments.

3. lukers88

lukers88
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can I put it on a memory stick?

4. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,590
    If the memory stick is big enough, yes. But if you have 50gb of music and only an 8gb memory stick, then no.

Best bet, if you have a large music collection, is to get an external HDD, and copy the entire iTunes folder (as mentioned above). What you end up with is a mirror copy of your iTunes Media Folder, containing all apps, music files, video files, ringtones - basically anything you have in iTunes. You also have the .itl and .xml files, which are what iTunes uses as it's database. So in the event of your laptop going wrong and you needing to reinstall or whatever, you copy back the folder from the ext HDD to the My Music folder, open iTunes while holding down SHIFT (or ALT, can't remember) and it asks you if you want to create a new library or load up an existing library > choose existing and then navigate to the iTunes folder, select the itl or xml file and presto - you library is restored as it was prior to the crash/reinstallation.

Obviously, you'll need to keep an upto date back up, otherwise it will only restore to the backup you have, so if that's 6 months old, you won't get a back up of anything you've added or deleted or changed in that 6 month period.

5. lukers88

lukers88
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How do i back it up to a disc?

6. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,590
    There used to be an option in the File > Library menu to Backup to Disc, but that was discontinued in iTunes 10.4; How to back up your media in iTunes

And to be honest, unless your library is tiny, disc is a bad idea. CD holds max 800mb, DVD max 8.5gb (there were higher capacity DVD discs, DVD10, DVD14, and DVD18, but they weren't very popular and I don't think many drives support them)

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  7. simplyme

simplyme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
  8. lukers88

lukers88
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    which is the best external hard drive to get/cheapest?