back up hdmi lead to pj?

tract0rb0y

Established Member
Reaction score
Im just at first fix stage of a new build and have put in a 10 metre HDMI cable for the projector, the hdmi lead was quite a cheap one but i am now getting paranoid that it may break/stop working/ be a poor picture...
So now i am thinking of buying a better quality one and also leaving in the other as a back up, am i being paranoid?
The HDMI lead is a triax brand (cheapish), any recommendation on which brand to get as i need a 10 metre and finaces are tight!

Cheers

Two lengths of cat 5 or cat 6 network cable is a good backup plan.
There will always be a way of sending HDMI or whatever new format arrives along two network cables.
Always best to test HDMI cables before you seal them in the ceiling etc,

Mark.

Two lengths of cat 5 or cat 6 network cable is a good backup plan.
There will always be a way of sending HDMI or whatever new format arrives along two network cables.
Always best to test HDMI cables before you seal them in the ceiling etc,

Mark.

Good idea Mark, I will do that.
I have not got my pj or any hdmi equipment yet :( And i dont think it will be here before they start plaster boarding and then it will be to late!
Hence why im worried.

Hello tract0rb0y

If possible install a suitable conduit (that would allow you to pull through a replacement HDMI cable) before you do the Plasterboard.

As Mark says two runs of CAT5e or CAT6 is a relatively low cost back up at this stage - though any cable not in a conduit can suffer damage from a wayward nail or staple!!!

Joe

Hello tract0rb0y

If possible install a suitable conduit (that would allow you to pull through a replacement HDMI cable) before you do the Plasterboard.

As Mark says two runs of CAT5e or CAT6 is a relatively low cost back up at this stage - though any cable not in a conduit can suffer damage from a wayward nail or staple!!!

Joe

Cheers Joe, I have put in two Cat5 cables today but if time permits will redo the hdmi cable i have into conduit.
Would you think standard electricians conduit would be ok or something a bit larger?

HDMI connectors usually require a minimum 25mm ID conduit - there are a few oversized connectors around too!!!

Joe

HDMI connectors usually require a minimum 25mm ID conduit - there are a few oversized connectors around too!!!

Joe

Ive just found a website doing 32mm and 40mm flexible conduit, im going back around to the house tonight to see how easily it will be to do.
Thanks again for your advice.

If you have space I would suggest to use 32mm push fit waste pipe

Waste Pipe 32mm Pack of 10 - Screwfix.com, Where the Trade Buys

and smooth curve longer corners rather than short corners

92.5º Bend 32mm - Screwfix.com, Where the Trade Buys

also at B&Q etc,

It's not easy puling wires with connectors through flexible conduit/ kopex etc.

Mark.

Thanks Mark,
Well there is already this pipe at the house i think the plumber is using it for something.....Here goes another weekend.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom