1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back up DVDs not playing on my new LG DR4912

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by tones1966, Mar 4, 2005.

1. tones1966

tones1966
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Due to my daughter having a bad habit of scratching and losing all our Cds and DVDs, I back up all my originals by copying them on my PC. They play fine on our "cheap supermarket" dvd player in our lounge.
    For my daughters birthday, we decided on buying her a DVD recorder so I purchased the LG DR4912 multi format machine. But this recorder just spits the copied DVDs straight out !.
    I have a DVD writer on my pc that records DVD+R and I want a good DVD recorder that will play these back. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions ?

Thanks

Tony

2. Ryu

Ryu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I have a Panasonic E65 DVD recorder and I have played DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW DVD+R DL and of course DVD-Ram on it with no problems so far. All the backups were burnt using an NEC2510 on my PC (except the DVD-RAM).

You can pick up the model below the E65 - the Panasonic E55 pretty cheaply now - around £150-£160 so that would be a good starting point.

3. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LG players have always been picky when playing recordable media,but you would expect an actual recorder to be a bit better on that front.
    Try a -R writer instead of +R.I have only ever found a single LG player to play +R

4. tones1966

tones1966
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Armed with a few of my copied DVDs, I took my shiny brand new LG DR4912 back to Richer sounds. They stood there and told me that it must be a fault with that particular machine as the LG DR4912 will definately play any DVD+r. They unpacked another new one and confidently put in my disc. Alas...the recorder whined and spat the disc out. Then they put in one of thier own recorded DVD+rs and it spat that out too !
    I was then offered a panasonic, pioneer and hitachi recorder,, all priced at over £200. I asked to test the £149 Cambridge Audio DVD53+RW, which they conveniently " forgot" about ! I put my discs in and it played them perfectly, 1st time, and the PQ was fantastic. So the DVD53+RW come home under my arm !

5. WEXFORDMAN

WEXFORDMAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Wondering if anyone else was experiencing this problem. I bouth my DR4912 last week, and one of the things I wanted to use it was for JPGS etc, but am having probelms getting it to show lots of photos. Hree is what happens:-

1) 1 copy my JPEGS onto a recordable disk
    2) Pop it into the LG recorder
    3)LG Recorder recognises discs and all the JPEGS
    4) LG displays the JPEGS in thumbnail format
    5) I select a thumbnail to enlarge/view properly
    6) Some photos display, others dont display at all and cause the player to lock up and I have to reset it.

I cant see any difference betweent he jpegs it will display and the ones it wont, even with regards file size (which is what the manual says to wath out for). Some of the file sizes on ones it wont display are way smaller than the ones it will display etc. And also, as it displays all the jpegs in thumnail format, I figured that things were going well, i.e no faulty disc or files etc.

Like the player, but LG support is crap, they said to post it to them (I'm in Ireland), the only other thing they said was to try Maxol discs!!!

Any help appreciated, or if anyone else is experiencing the same problem, I would like to know.

Regards,
    Wexfordman

6. andi

andi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My LG Dr4912 won't play copied +r's,although +RW's(copied on my laptop) are ok