Back to vinyl... in a strange way

Andylu70

Novice Member
Reaction score
Good evening everyone.
My question may be a bit strange and difficult to answer, but I'll ask it anyway. 😚
I would like to start listening to my vinyl collection again, but due to a very particular setup and the lack of space in my living room, I do not have an amplifier to connect my turntable to.

I got three options:

a) Connect the turntable to my DAC (a Topping DX3 Pro+) mainly to use the headphone jack (in this case, I was thinking of purchasing a Rega Planar 1 Plus).
b) Purchase a Pro-Ject E1 BT and listen to everything through Bluetooth headphones.
c) Forget about it... lol

I should also mention that I don't have any speakers at home and I mostly enjoy listening to my favourite music through headphones.
What do you think?
Is it worth it?

Thank you very much...

Does your DAC have analogue inputs? I'm assuming the Rega doesn't have digital outs so that might be option 1 ruled out.

I have a turntable set up in a spare room just to occasionally play some of the records I kept from my youth. This is purely for nostalgic reasons though. I also listen to the same music on my main system via digital sources for when I want it to sound good. My opinion on the subject is vinyl can sound fantastic if you throw an awful lot of money at both the turntable and good pressings of albums but if only spending sensible money and not crazy amounts, it's not the best sound for your pound. Others may tell you a different story though!

To go with the Planar plus you’ll want a proper headphone amp, that Topping as far as I can see doesn’t have analogue inputs.

Schiit make good headphone amps, pick one to suit the budget (or look on eBay): Schiit-amps

To go with the Planar plus you’ll want a proper headphone amp, that Topping as far as I can see doesn’t have analogue inputs.

Schiit make good headphone amps, pick one to suit the budget (or look on eBay): Schiit-amps
Forget bluetooth headphones. Wired from a good amp is simply better.

I'd do this. I've used a Schiit headphone amp for vinyl in the past. Planar 1 Plus to analogue headphone amp should still give the full experience. Especially if you have open backed headphones.
I was using the Schiit with AKG 712 Pro and vinyl still sounded like vinyl.

Thank you guys for your help.
I'll definitely go for the Schiit amp: I have two "different" headphones, one open backed and one closed (Grado SR325x and Meze 99 Classics) so it should be fine.
Thanks again...

Schiit is a bit hard to come by in the UK.

Check out the Fiio K5/7/9 desktop range - nice desktop DAC & Headphone Amps with RCA inputs (and outputs) so it can work as a pre-amp too if you like.

Schiit is a bit hard to come by in the UK.

Check out the Fiio K5/7/9 desktop range - nice desktop DAC & Headphone Amps with RCA inputs (and outputs) so it can work as a pre-amp too if you like.
I'd disagree, the UK disti doesn't always keep great stock granted (although they do seem to the head amps), but everything I've ordered from Schiit USA has been super quick. I ordered one item on a Friday and it came Monday, insane, and you don't even get that inside the UK usually!

I'd disagree, the UK disti doesn't always keep great stock granted (although they do seem to the head amps), but everything I've ordered from Schiit USA has been super quick. I ordered one item on a Friday and it came Monday, insane, and you don't even get that inside the UK usually!
The big problem in this scenario is that you have to pay customs on that.

The big problem in this scenario is that you have to pay customs on that.
Not always ;)!!! My Bifrost 2 went straight though, cost me a smidge over £500 all done and dusted!! But yeah, there's a total price and factor it in for sure.

I got mine from the US too, and it was still cheaper due to the favourable exchange rate at the time and the lower US price, and that was despite the postage. However, you used to be able to choose a UK PSU on the US site, but that option seems to have gone.

I got mine from the US too, and it was still cheaper due to the favourable exchange rate at the time and the lower US price, and that was despite the postage. However, you used to be able to choose a UK PSU on the US site, but that option seems to have gone.
yeah even the bits I paid the tax on were cheaper from the US. But you're right the current ex rates, plus the fact the gear's gone up to due to bloody covid tax including a premium for silver now... Still I love the gear I have and think they're still easily worth the money, even if we don't get as good a deal as natively in the US anymore.

The UK options are in a pull down menu with each product.

Thanks again, guys.
I've recently purchased a Rega Planar 1 Plus (walnut edition) combining it with a Schiit Magni Heretic and I'm absolutely delighted with the outcome.
As there's also an RCA output on the headphone amp, I was able to connect it to my Naim Mu-so Qb, so I've got the finished article in a way. :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom