Back to the Future Ultimate Collection Blu-ray Review

Tech News

News Supplying Robot
Reviewed by Andrew Mogford, 28th December 2010.

The Back to the Future trilogy has sadly been rather eclipsed by the behemoth of an Alien set, and this is a shame because at any other time of the year this release would have been even more heralded than it has been. The set contains three films. The first is an absolute bona fide modern classic that deserves a place in every film fans collection. The second film is a bit of a curate’s egg. It is wildly inventive and has some excellent set pieces, but ends up being just a tiny bit too complicated for its own good. As the first film is a love letter to 50’s high school movies, so the third is a love letter to the Western, and as such is much closer in spirit to the first film. It may not quite have the timeless nature of the franchise starter but it is not far off, and it rounds off the trilogy perfectly.

The set has an AV quality that is very difficult to quantify. As all the films were shot so close together, and by the same team, there is not a massive amount to choose between them. I am afraid that I was not as sold on the picture as I might have been. To me, there was just too much evidence of artificial tampering which spoilt things. Waxiness in facial textures, and a lack of detail in places really dragged the mark down. This is not to say that the films are not presented in a better way than they ever did before – they look far better than their DVD companions ever did. It is just a shame that DNR has reared its ugly head. I should qualify this by stating that as always there will be some who don’t notice this technique. If you are one of them you can probably add another mark to my score.

The sound is a similarly mixed bag. Each film has been given a DTS-HD MA soundtrack. The second and third do benefit more from this, showing some nice directionality in places. The first doesn’t really have that dynamic a soundtrack to begin with, so this perhaps sounds a little less impressive.

For extras, Universal have included all the extras from the original DVD releases, and have added some more HD exclusive extras. The package is comprehensive and continuously interesting, without ever being too showy. The commentaries are disappointing however. It is also about time that Universal ditched their appalling menu system.

Overall, then Back to the Future can only ever be a recommendation from me. The first is a classic, the third is excellent, and the second is very good. The extras package is comprehensive and although the picture loses a few marks fans and newcomers alike should not hesitate to add this set to their shelf.

Read the full review...

Thug

Great review as always, but would like to have seen more comments on what the Bluray has to offer.
I already have the trio on standard DVD, and want to know if the ugrade is worth it.

Great review as always, but would like to have seen more comments on what the Bluray has to offer.
I already have the trio on standard DVD, and want to know if the ugrade is worth it.

You obviously haven't read the review properly...click the tab marked "Blu-ray review" and there's another page covering picture, sound and extras...about 2500 words worth of it...!

Andrew - another stonking review and you are becoming "king o the boxsets!"

Only one thing - maybe 2 - I disagree with. I prefer 2 to 3 ( probably one of the cleverest films ever made!)...and your score was a bit low for "film" - should have changed the scoring process forthis set and made it up to 11!

Thug

You obviously haven't read the review properly...click the tab marked "Blu-ray review" and there's another page covering picture, sound and extras...about 2500 words worth of it...!

Only one thing - maybe 2 - I disagree with. I prefer 2 to 3 ( probably one of the cleverest films ever made!)...and your score was a bit low for "film" - should have changed the scoring process forthis set and made it up to 11!

Ah, your right.
I am still a noob at this.

Andrew Mogford

awww shucks. Thank you. I have the lethal weapon set here too that I may or may not cover at some point. That set deserves more love.....

As for 2 and 3, you know I actually came into the review planning to give 2 higher marks than 3. Until I watched them again. It's still such a great trilogy though!

Ah, your right.
I am still a noob at this.

Welcome, and I hope you enjoy the reviews - and the ability to comment on them as well :)

RedDevil85

Distinguished Member
Great review Andrew :smashin:

I finished watching the trilogy the other night and having not seen them for quite sometime it was a real treat, despite the DNR it didn't spoil it for me, all 3 films have never looked better so that was enough for me, there was some incredible detail throughout that surprised me and seeing the special effects and others little secrets of the trade in the higher resolution just added to the charms IMO.

Must agree the rear surrounds were a tad disappointing, not getting much activity but it still sounded great overall.

I love 1 & 2 but for some reason I can't love the 3rd, it's just OK, can't shake that feeling. I always find it slow and boring with bits in between that I enjoy but come the end credits I'm glad its over. Shame really.

jontymo

Great review

My daughter bought me this for xmas, just waiting for a quiet sat/sun afternoon to start them off:thumbsup:

jontymo

a4lloxo

Great review

My daughter bought me this for xmas, just waiting for a quiet sat/sun afternoon to start them off:thumbsup:

jontymo

yes great review,am going to recieve this in the next couple of days,will be interesting to see if i can spot the DNR,however,even if i do it wont spoil the enjoyment of one of my favorite film franchises:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom