1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back to Square One

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Comicman, Jul 5, 2002.

1. Comicman

Comicman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I am having my Sony FQ75 taken back. For saying this is meant to have the best picture I think it is terrible. It's like watching 'Sunset Beach' on every channel, like American broadcast quality - too digitised. I think they have a long way to go yet to getting a sharp picture.

Also I noticed the scrolling bars for the first time last night but only on very dark scenes. For its price I have to say that this is an awful TV and I have no idea why it got such rave reviews.

You are basically paying for all the gumf thrown into it, 80% of I will never use. 100hz is terrible and is definitley something I would rule out on my next choice once I have cooled off.

I will be refunded minus 10% which is a price I am willing to pay for my stupidity.

So I am back to square one - does anyone recomend a 32 inch TV which is a lot cheaper, good picture, no digital crap like DRC, at least 2 scarts, one RGB another s-video and also s-video connections (preferably at the back). I've heard Phillips have a better, sharper picture than sony diue to the tubes they use.

Personally I think even if I get a cheaper TV the picture to my DVDs will be just as good as it is from the source you are playing the image and as long as you have a good player and leads then this should be sufficient.

I'm looking at well below the £1000 mark, even £500 if anyone knows of any good deals anywhere. If I payed £500 for a TV and the picture quaility wasn't amazing but the DVD picture is the same as on any TV then that wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why "minus 10%"? :eek:

The TV is faulty if it has scrolling bars! Insist on a FULL REFUND!!!!

3. Comicman

Comicman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I now say it is faulty I'll have to go through what everyone else went through on here - ie, forst the guys coming out and looking at it and fobbing me off and talking me round, I'm useless at sticking up for myself and I'd just rather they take it away and have done with it, I know it sounds daft but I can see this happening. If I now turn round and say it has something wrong with it at Jessops they'll just say why didn't you mention this?

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, but Sony have admitted this problem now so there shouldn't be an issue about this. If the engineer says he has never heard of the problem, then just tell him to ring Sony.

Whether you mentioned it before or not is not an issue. They can test the TV and see that it is faulty so it is not like you are pulling a fast one.

If you want a minimum of argument and fuss, then at the very least you could get in touch and give it a try. In the unlikely event that it becomes a bit of a hassle, then you can always just back down and say "okay" if that's what you want to do. But surely it's worth a try in the first place..... :)

5. Comicman

Comicman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I suppose I should try, I'll go in on monday and say I found the fault over the weekend.

6. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's the spirit! :)

You can also say that you didn't realise that it was a fault, you thought it was down to poor cabling or poor TV reception or something like that. But now you've talked to fellow FQ75 owners you've found out that this is a fault that has been recognised by Sony and you'd therefore like a full refund. :)

7. Comicman

Comicman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about if they say in the after sales department that they have to get the sony guy out to view it first, its just inconvenience.

8. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I very much doubt they will. Just speaking to Sony should be enough for them. And they might even already know about this fault so try not to pre-empt what they will say. :)

They will probably insist on sending one of their own engineers out to confirm the fault though. Almost all retailers do this, but it's worth that little bit of inconvience to get your full money back isn't it? :)

I've personally sent back 2 Philips sets and 1 JVC set and had no problem with the engineers confirming my faults (which were not even recognised faults, like yours are!).

9. chegz60

chegz60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know how you must feel. I have a JVC which I am not happy with convergence. It is 3 months old and I kept putting off
    reporting fault (nearly said complaining). Now I have, the shop
    service manager just says "they are all like it". They have offered
    to take back to the workshop for a week but even then they say
    it is unlikely it will be any better!:confused:

10. Pete Callan

Pete Callan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The thing I'm thinking reading this thread is that its not just that you can't be bothered to argue whether the TV is faulty or not, but also you don't want to get into a return / replacement scenario. If you can just return the TV and get your money back less 10% and be done with it, fair enough.

Although you've obviously spent a lot buying the FQ75, I see you're now thinking of going downmarket. What about spending a little more and getting a Loewe? I got a Vitros from HOF on a pricematch, cost £1400 and would seriously recommend it.

11. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But if it's faulty (and reported as such within a reasonable amount of time, usually 28 days), a retailer MUST provide a full refund if the customer wants it. I can't see them arguing about this once the engineer agrees it's faulty.

12. Pete Callan

Pete Callan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK OK!

Comicman, kick some arse!

13. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am always reading on these forums about people with faulty tvs who are having problems with the place they bought it from refusing to do anything about it. I bought my tv nearly 1 year ago from Currys. Since then I have had a further 5 tvs delivered in its place. All the tvs had the usual sort of faults common to most widscreen tvs. My first 3 sets were |Sony FX and FQ models (scrolling bars) Then I had 3 panasonics (2 rp tvs) all with faults. Now im on a RP tosh. Everytime I found a fault Currys would just send an engineer to look and try to fix the fault. If he could not they simply gave me a new tv. My 3rd sony was replaced after 5 months of me having it. Currys have been FANTASTIC in their aftersales service and I reccomend them to anyone. My tosh seems great (so far) and before anyone asks, NO I do not work for currys. :)

14. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Comicman,
    Get yourself a JVC AV32T25. I've just had one and it's fabulous. Stylish, great 50hz picture, all the connections you requested, and quite a bit cheaper. I paid £775. What else can you ask for?
    I know you may be able to fight your way out of not paying the 10% but I had similar problems and it took ages and lots of stress to sort it out. You'll save well over that anyway if you get the JVC. I would strongly advise buying locally next time - it's far less hassle.
    See my review "JVC AV32T25 - Excellent set!" for more info.
    Hope this helps:)

15. Comicman

Comicman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice guys. What I have decided to do so I end up with less hassle next time and the TV I want is to rent a TV until I am happy with the one I want, then buy it.