Back to AGP for a while?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Syfer, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Syfer

Syfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Hi folks,

Ok, I have a puzzler that maybe you can help with?

My current system is:

ASUS P4GPL-x
    P4 3.0 Northwood @ 3.6
    2GB DDR400
    X850XTPE

I know that I need a CPU & Mobo upgrade but with all the hype about new sockets & CPU's etc I am kinda reluctant to do so atm.

I do however still have my old gaming rig from a couple of years ago, this consists of:

ASUS SK8N Socket 940 Mobo
    Opteron 142
    4GB HP DDR266 ECC REG RAM

I have now got my hands on an Opteron 250 socket 940 CPU. This will fit straight in my ASUS board above but of course the board has an AGP slot and not a PCI-X.

My question is: Would it be worth me trading my card (X850XTPE PCI-X) for a 7800gs or AGP version of my card & using it in the above system until the new cards, CPU's & sockets arrive?

Bear in mind this should not cost me much as its only the card swap that I need & would also help stave off the upgradeitis for now.

Thanks,

Scott

2. semiskimmed

semiskimmed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    if it wont cost you anything, its a no brainer to go for the 7800GS mate.
    as for the cpu upgrade thing, theres NEVER a good time to upgrade, but i wouldnt lose any sleep on the next amd cpu's BUT the new intel conroe's seem to be a very hot topic at the moment but time will tell if they really are the next gen gaming cpu's

3. Syfer

Syfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    I was given the Opteron 250, I was going to put it in the ASUS SK8N with the 4GB RAM & upgrade my old Proliant file server. But then I got to thinking about how good the rig used to be with my old 6800.

If I sell my card & the spare Opteron for around £200 then I can get a:
    Leadtek GeForce 7800 GS 256MB GDDR3 TV-Out/DVI (AGP) - Retail from Overclockers for £200. So in theory it should cost me nothing!

I still wonder how it would compare to a the P4 with the faster RAM (albeit half the amount!) & PCI-X. Does anyone have a decent AGP card that I can borrow:D

Scott

4. shacky

shacky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    go for the gainward 7800gs GLH (GLH = GOES LIKE HELL 20 PIPES !! ) LOOK FOR REVIEWS......

5. apolloa

apolloa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,350
    Forgive me for saying but isn't the 250 Opteron designed to ONLY run in a Dual CPU motherboard hence the '2' before the 50 instead of the 1? if you want one the try these motherboards:
    http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/server/svr/pro_svr_detail.php?UID=613

http://www.tyan.com/products/html/tigerk8we.html

6. Syfer

Syfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    I think it means up to 2? You can use 1 in a dual board if there is a blank in the other slot.

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=SK8N

Scott

7. apolloa

apolloa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,350
    So you need a dual CPU motherboard then but just run the one Opteron in it. I know you can do that with Xeon's but wasn't quite sure of the Opteron. Don't fance getting a dual CPU rig then? YOu could save some pennys and watercool it and OC the hell out of the 250 you have and most Opteron boards these days will also accept dual core models for when they are cheaper.