Back speakers and other questions

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Brad_Porter, Aug 4, 2002.

1. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you help?

Most setup guides (that I read) tend to points to setting all channels of a 5.1 setup to be equally set to 75db.

However, some poeple say that rears should be turned down quite a bit and the center slightly up etc...

Has anyone got a pretty good rule to thumb about how you set up channel levels and any other tips during set-up that you could advise.

Kit :

Denon - 3802
    Speakers - M&K setup

Brad

2. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,218
    Hi Brad

Best thing would be to set all the speaker levels to 75db (inc. the sub) and then adjust the levels to suit your taste. If you want the surrounds louder/quieter, centre louder etc then adjust them. The 75db will give you a reference to start with.

I´ve set mine up with the AVIA setup disc to 88db for the sub, 85db all other channels. This equates to reference level at 0db volume setting on the amp.

Cheers:)

3. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jase - why have you set yours upto 85db? Is 75 not right as I hear conflicting views about the 75db/85db rule as well!!

4. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,218
    If you are using the internal test tones to balance the system set all channels to 75db. If using the Video Essentials setup disc, again set to 75db. For AVIA set to 85db.

Here´s a cut & paste from a post by Ramius (Forum Bassmeister:) )

"Unfortunately, due to speaker sensitivity, room size etc, the volume reading on the receiver display gives no indication on exactly how loud it is- unless you've calibrated with VE or Avia.

Dolby Digital reference level- 105dB for the main channels and 115dB for the LFE.

So after you've calibrated correctly- measuring 75dB on the SPL meter using VE or 85dB using Avia (both methods equate to the same) then you know when listening at this level, you are listening at reference level. You may prefer to listen 5dB below ref or maybe 15dB below, whatever.

So 5dB below reference will be the same volume in every calibrated cinema, mine or yours."

Hope this makes it clearer.

5. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    here's a stupid question for you:
    i usually listen to films at around -27 volume on my denon avc a1se display. when using an spl meter to set levels do i first set my volume to this, or to 0 on its display? i have not been using an spl meter since setting up my new speaker package as i gave been quite happy wth the settings!

6. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are happy with the settings, then you could argue that you should leave them alone :)

In answer to your question, you shouldn't really set your main volume to anything - that's the point.
    Play your calibrated tones (eg from the AVIA DVD), and then set whatever volume on the amp that gives roughly 85dB(C) on the sound meter, and then tweak the settings for each channel so that they all read exactly 85dB (or whatever level your tones are set to use). The meter should be placed at the same place as your head would be in your usual seating position.
    It's probably easiest to set the front L+R to exactly 85dB each first using just the main volume and balance controls, and then set the others to match by using the independent channel level/balance settings.

Then alter it to taste anyway :D :D

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just set up a Denon 1602 amp through Mission fs2 speakers using a sound pressure meter, to 75dbs. The surround sound is pretty good, but I feel the need to increase the db's through the rear surround speakers as it is a little too subtle for my hearing. Is the rear channels supposed to be discreet or is it something that should be adjusted to suit personal taste?

Thanks

AJ

8. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Is the rear channels supposed to be discreet or is it something that should be adjusted to suit personal taste?

With Dolby Pro-Logic they are not discrete and indeed appear to be low in volume. Dolby Digital and DTS, either in 5.1, will give you discrete sound from all channels.

If you still find it's not loud enough adjust to your taste.