1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back speaker placement and measurements for correct delay

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Brad_Porter, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have my surround speakers high up on my side walls, pointing toward each other. They are about three feet above my head when I sit at my reference listening position.

If I measure to the wall (with the speaker) in a straight line, the measurement will be about 6 feet, whereas if I measure from my listening position diagonally up (so the measurement goes to my speaker) it is around 8 foot. Therefore there will be around a 2ms delay discrepancy depending on what measurement I choose.

Also, the fact that my speakers point toward each other, rather then the downwards toward the listening position may also effect what measurement I need.

Can someone please advise me about the correct position and delay measurement for surround speakers high up on the side walls?

2. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brad

You should measure the direct distance between you and the speaker.

Measuring from the wall will give the wrong figure as the sound waves will still be 2ms away from your position when the amp thinks they've arrived.

The key to setting the delay is the actual distance of the speaker from your listening position - it's there the sound comes from, not the wall.

The direction of your speaker does not affect the delay. A sound coming from 8ft away will take the same amount of time to reach you regardless of which way the speaker is. It could of course affect your levels.

I use dipole speakers mounted at 6ft high firing across the room in the way you're describing. If you're using monopole rears then I suggest placing them 20 degrees behind your seating postion, dipoles are somewhat different and mine are just a few inches behind.

Hope this helps

3. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does indeed - just the answer I was hoping for!

Thanks dude. :)