Back/sidespeakers - how good quality?

hbj

Novice Member
Reaction score
I'm planning for a 5.1 surround system in my living room, possibly 5.1.2 in the future.
But how important are those back speakers (or rather side speakers as this is 5.1)?

Some people say it's crucial that the side speakers are of the same brand as your fronts, and ideally from the same LS-series as well.

As I have some floorstanding Dynaudio Excite x32, this means I should be getting a pair of Dynaudio Excite x12's for the sides.

Other people say, nah, don't speed too much on side speakers, it's way overkill as all side speakers really do is provide panning effects and ambience. The important thing is matching the 3 main speakers, i.e. L R and C.

What's a guy to believe? :)

I've never heard a surround system and have no idea what quality speakers to pick as side speakers. But as I need a ton of other things, I sure wouldn't mind saving a dime if possible.
Thanks

I would always want the same make and model of speakers all around. As I see it your system is only as good as its weakest link hence keeping the quality consistent. More and more effects are being played on the surrounds no which I feel makes it more important to get it right. Quite a few members have gone from non matching rears to matching rears (while upgrading kit) and have reported a gain when they got back to matching speakers (and that was with 2 good quality speakers as I think they went form MK to PMC if I remember correctly).
So for me it would be get the matching surrounds.

As above surrounds can be just as important as the LCR and with the new object based sound formats there getting used more and more. Do you have any old speakers knocking around you could try and see how it all sounds?

For years I had used 5x small Monitor Audio Radius 45's as my 5.1 surround setup, which I'd been quite happy with, though the surround was quite "directional". I've just upgraded the rears for main duty during projection to a pair of Monitor Audio Silver FX bipole / dipoles, keeping the R45's for just TV time - and wow, the difference is unbelievable. I'd always been a believer in not spending much on surrounds; not any more.

PSM might be thinking of some comments I've made in the past. Initially I had a mixed system of PMC LCR and M&K K4T side and back surrounds. Then I found a pair of PMC Wafer1 wall mounted speakers so change my side surrounds for these.

I found a big difference from that point on, pans from front to the surrounds would create a proper image at points between. I often hear a sound seem to come from the other sofa which is mid way between the left front and left side surround as an example.

A few years ago I changed from PMC to all MK speakers (150 series) so I did this knowing I would have to buy the full set (at least 5 channels, though I'm still running the old K4T at the back). I installed the MP150 LCR first and just ran with K4T side and surround for a week or so before I got round to installing the S150T at the sides. Again, it was noticeable difference once I change the side surrounds and I get that same effect as above with sound coming from the other sofa/on the floor near my seat/the right hand wall, where there aren't any speakers.

I'd really like to buy another pair of S150T for the surround back position, but I just can't justify another £1,500 for that pair and I may rewire for 5.1.4 Atmos later this year, so I'll need 4 ceiling speakers instead. I expect I'll use the nearest match for my MP150/S150T when the time comes, though I may dig out the old M&K K5 speakers I have in the loft in the short term.

A new owner of a Monitor Audio set up on another thread commented how well this set up blends together, so I think there are a few of us with this view. It also shows you don't have to spend a fortune to get a matching set up.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom