Back plate on Sammy R7 range - now I'm worried!!!!

A

AWilky

Just about to purchase a bracket for my LE26R73BD which is being delivered on Friday... i've posted a few posts regarding whats suitable bracket wise, and any potential issues with screw. The below is why i am now getting more and more worried about problems which might occur

http://www.lewisroberts.com/?p=55

http://www.lewisroberts.com/?p=63

Has anyone heard about this? Experienced this? Solved this?

Cheers guys

Wilky

Mmmm, bad news. I would consider sending it back unless that's been resolved.

Good grief !!!! I`ve read the lewisroberts links, and in the words of Mr Meldrew "I don`t believe it !". The level of incompetence and lack of customer care by Samsung is staggering. How can a potential buyer or owner have any confidence in their products if they can`t even supply the correct bracket screws ? It`s bad enough supplying the wrong ones in the first place, but to be unable to correct the situation properly is poor. :suicide:

As part of my job, I sometimes have to wall mount LCD/Plasma TVs, there`s NO WAY i`d be forcing self-tappers into the back of a TV.

Yeah, I can't believe it either. My TV comes tomorrow and the bracket comes sometime next week.

What I can't understand is that these TV's have been so popular and no-one seems to be replying saying - I've had this problem and this is what I did.... etc etc
There must be someone out there with one of these who has also tried to wallmount it

AWilky said:
Yeah, I can't believe it either. My TV comes tomorrow and the bracket comes sometime next week.

What I can't understand is that these TV's have been so popular and no-one seems to be replying saying - I've had this problem and this is what I did.... etc etc
There must be someone out there with one of these who has also tried to wallmount it

I've had this problem and this is what I did.... Go to B and Q and by some 4mm by 16mm self tapping screws for about £1.30 (they come in a little clear plastic bag with a red header). Put the bracket up no probs! The problem isn't the bolt size (it is M4ish) the problem is the thread is cut in the hole really poorly 3 of the 4 M4 bolts i tried fitted and screwed into the threads properly. Get these screws and just screw them in by hand as normal, it is held on the set really tightly. We have had other sets do this at the store i work in and knew i'd have to do this before i bought the set.

Prof all the self tappers do is cut a better thread in the metal support hole that is there, as long as you dont buy the wrong length screws i dont see a prob. I appreciate this isn't a good situation to be in and it reflects poorly on Samsung but if you are capable of putting up a wall bracket in the first place then the easiest part is screwing a screw into a hole.

I can see why lewis roberts is annoyed but samsung have sent him a screw to solve the prob. If he uses it and it doesn't work then its not his fault its Samsungs. Yes samsung have a defect on the back of a set, they have sent him something that will solve the prob which i can say will work. What is the problem?

surely the screws arent samasungs problem. if brought a vogel bracket they tend too send out extra screws if contacted and say not right ones supplied for your tv

Funny that lady on the phone who wouldnt let him get a word in edgeways sounds exactly like the lady i spoke to when i rang toshiba CS :rotfl:

Maybe its a growing trend and i just should keep my crt that has served me well since 1998....hmmm tosh crt last me 8 years(and still going) tosh LCD last me 8 months and cant be fixed .... CS and quality control gone down hill? :suicide:

Personally if someone told me to drill holes in my new tv id tell em to stick the screws and the tv where the sun dont shine :nono:

You dont need to drill any holes. Just screw the screws samsung send out into the hole that is already there. All i did was go out and buy them to save time.

Hi folks, excuse the username but I thought I'd just pop in with my 2cents. I'm Lewis Roberts, author of the blog mentioned in the above posts. I realise that some people are saying "What's the problem, just screw the screws in and be done." but that doesn't really cut the mustard does it?

Let's say you bought a car with the intention of putting a tow-bar on it. Tow-bars have a universal size of bolt that they are supplied with, 17mm and 18mm but the manufacturer has cut 17.5mm thread in to the vehicles mounting plate for said tow-bar attachment. After you complain, they send you a set of screws which you blindly use. You're driving down the motorway and your caravan becomes detached, without killing anyone it happily glides off the motorway and smashes in to a million pieces. Who's at fault?

I realise that the example is a little drastic and probably significantly more costly but there is really very little difference. Samsung is quite simply not concerned with the issue because they believe their screws "fix" the problem. They don't fix it, it's a bodge job and a major manufacturing defect, not to mention if they state that the TV is VESA compatible they're guilty of false advertising.

THERAAAVEN: You're right, the bolts for a supposed VESA compatible TV aren't Samsung's problem but when Samsung manufacture a TV which is not VESA compatible with 4.5mm threads when there is no such thing as a 4.5mm bolt, they should be responsible for providing a 4.5mm bolt for the TV. In their opinion, supplying a 4mm self-tapping screw is sufficient.

hey i had the same trouble trying to get sense out of samsung, so my dad contacted a company he used to deal with making bolts, and he sent some samples for me to try, and i found the ones that fitted were 3BA machine screws. I now have my LE26R74 wallmounted and seems rock solid :D

Attachments

• IMG_0631.jpg
    IMG_0631.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 215
Just had this problem at work. Bought the 26" Sammy to wall mount and found out about the screws. 4mm to small and 5mm to big.

Took the back off the set and then took out the 2 metal strips that hold the TV onto the wall mounting bracket and then tapped the holes out to suit a 5mm screw. JOB DONE !!!!!

Bipolarchucker said:
You're right, the bolts for a supposed VESA compatible TV aren't Samsung's problem but when Samsung manufacture a TV which is not VESA compatible with 4.5mm threads when there is no such thing as a 4.5mm bolt, they should be responsible for providing a 4.5mm bolt for the TV. In their opinion, supplying a 4mm self-tapping screw is sufficient.

It is sufficient! Just screw them in. Whats the big deal? Samsung have sent you the screws so if they dont work its not your fault. Why is a bolt any better than a screw? It just seems a bit neurotic to me. Yes the threads are a strange size, but they have sent you a fix that works no matter what level of DIY skills you have. The screws they provide have no disadvantage when compared to a 4.5mm bolt that doesn't exist anyway.

marklewis81 said:
hey i had the same trouble trying to get sense out of samsung, so my dad contacted a company he used to deal with making bolts, and he sent some samples for me to try, and i found the ones that fitted were 3BA machine screws. I now have my LE26R74 wallmounted and seems rock solid :D

Thanks for this info.

Anyone needing 3BA machine screws PM me as I have 10 sets coming.

let me know how they work out i phoned the company i got mine from and they confirmed that the ones i used were 3BA machine screws so all you happy samsung owners should be well happy :D :D

Just in case anyone arrives here and gets really worried - as I did.

I ordered a Samsung 26" LE26R41BDX from AJ Electronics, and an ab7515 lcd wall mount from AVRabbit.com yesterday. Both arrived this morning - brilliant service from both organisations.

The supplied M4 screws attached the 200x100 Vesa plate to the TV with no problems at all.

It looks as if Samsung have fixed the engineering problems.
http://www.avforums.com/forums/images/smilies/luxhello.gif
:clap:

Regards

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom