Back on the road again !

macker2006

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, this months competition is starting to cost me too much in petrol, I've done miles looking for an 'over the edge' shot and not been happy with any of them. So, I decided to re-visit the M6 where I caught my 1st ever 'light trails from traffic' effort the other night and see if I could get a little more light in the picture. Only PP was to tweak the blue saturation a little and remove some nasty distracting tree. I deliberately included the bridge railing as I felt it was relevent to the theme. Anyway, this is the result !

The view 'over the edge' of a bridge at J15 of the M6. (Larger version on my Flickr page)

aprcomp.jpg

Exif info added:
# Camera Make = Canon
# Camera Model = Canon EOS 400D DIGITAL
# Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) = 20/1 second = 20.00000 second
# Lens F-Number/F-Stop = 56/10 = F5.60
# Exposure Program = shutter priority (4)
# ISO Speed Ratings = 100
# Exif Version = 0221
# Original Date/Time = 2007:04:09 20:45:38

This is great and very clever :clap: and on theme.

I wanna learn how to do this...:lesson:

It's a great shot, not sure about the 'over the edge' bit, but see where you're coming from.

The fact the horizon isn't level is a little distracting too. Still, lovely light trails - and a great spot.

I wasnt sure about the horizon to be honest. Whichever way I cloned it (sky or clouds), it just seemd to add too much of one or another if you understand what I mean. I didn't really want to crop it either as I liked the full frame image, but I agree, its the one part of the image that I'm not happy with.

@Sweetgirl. This isnt actaully too hard of a shot, the tricky part is getting a good viewpoint without too much light pollution. Set your camera on a tripod, select shutter priority (TV mode on my 400D) and set it to 15, 20 or 30 seconds, see what comes out best. I used 20 seconds for this shot. (Oh yes, and dont even breath too near the camera as it's exposing ! lol)

I was actually on that road about 7PM yesterday evening as I was on my way home from Alton Towers! Didn't happen to notice a blue Honda FR-V travelling just below the speed limit did you ;)
Excellent light trails macker :smashin:
To have both sides of the road busy at the same time is a bonus. Nice one :thumbsup:

I wasnt sure about the horizon to be honest. Whichever way I cloned it (sky or clouds), it just seemd to add too much of one or another if you understand what I mean. I didn't really want to crop it either as I liked the full frame image, but I agree, its the one part of the image that I'm not happy with.

@Sweetgirl. This isnt actaully too hard of a shot, the tricky part is getting a good viewpoint without too much light pollution. Set your camera on a tripod, select shutter priority (TV mode on my 400D) and set it to 15, 20 or 30 seconds, see what comes out best. I used 20 seconds for this shot. (Oh yes, and dont even breath too near the camera as it's exposing ! lol)

Thanku Macker. Trying it now :)

Thanku Macker. Trying it now

No problem, but you have to promise not to enter it in this months comp if it turns out better than mine ! :D :rotfl: :rotfl:

Didn't happen to notice a blue Honda FR-V travelling just below the speed limit did you
@Bowenjones - Bad news mate, that camera flash wasn't me ! :rotfl: :D

No problem, but you have to promise not to enter it in this months comp if it turns out better than mine ! :D :rotfl: :rotfl:

Could never turn out as good as yours....;)

I always like the look of these shots. Especially when they are taken from about a mile where i was born n bred.:thumbsup:

Great spot you've chosen Macker. Love the dynamic of the trails off the left.
I actually like the sky - it gives the lighting in the rest of the picture some context - especially on the handrail.

Great spot you've chosen Macker. Love the dynamic of the trails off the left.

The on and off ramps on the left at J15 are mad mate, you virtually loop the loop ! Took about 10 attempts to actually get a picture with activity on all the ramps !

Great light trails and lots of them, nice one. Doesn't especially say over the edge for me without the explanation but a nice shot none the less.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom