1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back luck or simple stupidity? Hooking Up

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bitofatit, Jun 6, 2005.

1. bitofatit

bitofatit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I’m having problems connecting my DVD player to the new telly. Any help would be appreciated. The Sony Dav-s500 I have has no scart lead but optical, s-video and 3x3 Video in/out on the back. OK, I’ve now read both DVD and TV user manual and am no further forward; any advice would be appreciated. I have been told that s-video doesn’t work too well and haven’t got an s vid lead at present. I have been trying in various combinations with a 3 plug RCA lead to a scart into the AVC box which is part of the TV. Absolutely no luck. I can get sound from the Sony’s speakers but no sound or pics on the TV! On the new telly (Sharp LC37gd1e which is the biz) I have tried setting input as component, cvbs and rgb - nothing - any ideas? New plugs, new set up, tweak telly or DVD settings?? :rolleyes:

2. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    Hopefully i can help. If iv'e read your post correctly you have a cable that looks something like this:[​IMG] except without the S-video part at the bottom. Now on the back of your davs500 there should be a yellow socket that is labelled MONITOR OUT, connect one end of the cable to this socket and the other to the same coloured input on your SHAPRP TV, the channel you want for the Tv shoul be the cvbs one, this should then give you your dvd picture.

If you want your Tv sound to come out through your davs500 then you will need to connect the white/red parts of the cable you have to the AUDIO OUT on the TV and AUDIO IN 1(or2) on the back of the davs500, this will then enable you to hear whatever you are watching on tv to be heard in either pro-logic or stereo using your davs speakers.

When you can, get a S-Video lead for you system as it will be much much better than the composite cable in the box.

3. bitofatit

bitofatit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    PooonTang - thanks v much for the advice. It is definately good advice (dashed down to Currys and got an Svid cable - cost £9.99 mind you!) - plugged and played straight! - Top man, the PQ looks the biz. The pic that you showed above is 50% correct, in that the cable I previously bought has a 21 pin scart on the other end which I put into the AV box of the telly (input 3). Tried the yellow end in TV out and the other two in the Video out and other sockets? I'm v happy with the PQ, I'm not so sure the other 'arf will be as happy as the s-video cable has to go in through the front of the AV box rather than a rear entry if you catch my drift! Aesthetics apart I'm content. Don't know if you or anyone else knows but will (and what is it for that matter!) a component lead fit the Sony, might I get a better or similar PQ to the S vid and still keep my better 1/2 on side??
    Best regards
    B of a T

4. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    To please the other half you can buy a s-video to scart adaptor. This should then be plugged into Scart #2 on your AV board for your tv. Don't get teh adaptor from Currys as they will charge you £10.99!!! for it. You shoud be able to get on from Argos or somewhere like that for half that price. If you have a Maplins near you even better.

IIRC the Sony Davs500 does not have component video sockets, the latter model the davs550 has component, but not progressive scan(Pal).

Personally i think you should really think about changing your dvd system for a more recent one that has progressive scan capable component video sockets to really do you top notch new Tv justice, these days a unit that would do that should cost something around £200, but spending more will give you more power(sound), an active sub(if lucky) and better picture.

5. bitofatit

bitofatit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    PooonTang - this is not the kind of advice I really wanted to hear!! Got any suggestions??? I'm really tempted to hook up something to get the best I cann sub £200 sounds a fair price. In the mean time I'll try our the scart adaptor.
    Best Regards
    B of a T

6. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    The Panasonic SCHT520 has progressive out put and costs around £200, sound quality is pretty good as well. My personal preference would be a Toshiba SD-44HK which can be had for £199 online or for something a bit more lady-friendly try the sd-63 which is supposed to be the next model up in the range but can be had online for about the same price.