Back lighting Plasma Screen

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by dvdsubtitles, Sep 20, 2004.

1. dvdsubtitles

dvdsubtitles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just mounted my pdp-504 on my living room wall (a HUGE improvement over the table top stand!).

I've got this idea of back lighting the screen, by putting coloured light tubes either side of the screen between the screen and the wall. I think this could have a very nice effect, perhaps using blue cold cathode tubes?

Has anyone done something similar? Also, where can I get some suitable lights? I looked in Maplins but they only do Cold Cathode tubes that run off either a PC power supply or a 12v car system. Does anyone know of somewhere I can obtain mains-powered Cold cathode tubes?

Cheers,
    Mat.

2. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,023
    Quite early on in the "plasmas out thread" there is a set up with back lighting , think its fulabeers iirc , go have a look

3. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I seem to remember something about backlighting conventional CRT TVs as this is supposed to give a better perceived image quality (over watching in a fully dark room). There is a specific temperature of neon tube (?6500K?) which was meant to give best results. Not sure if the same applies to plasmas though it wouldn't surprise me. I'll have a look when I get home and see if I can dig anything up.

4. dvdsubtitles

dvdsubtitles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After some more research, I'm under the impression that buying a set of Cold Cathodes for a PC case would do the trick if coupled with a 12v power supply available from Halfords....

5. C h a z II

C h a z II

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have used a type of LED "rope" light before. Be carefull that what ever you use doesn't cause patterning on the screen.

6. dvdsubtitles

dvdsubtitles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What do you mean by patterning?

Surely any light that's behind the screen won't affect it?

Mat

7. moviemike

moviemike
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd ask "Fulabeer" Have a look at his set-up in the thread "Get your plasmas out for the lads - Pt II" His is on the second page - let me know what you think (I know I'm jealous)

8. dvdsubtitles

dvdsubtitles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought 2 blue cold cathode tubes (the sort that you use in PC case modding!), and I wired them to a suitable mains transformer from Maplins, which works perfectly.

They come with sticky pads and I intend to mount them on the wall either side of the plasma mounting bracket. They need slightly longer wiring, so I need to get down to a spot of soldering this weekend and hopefully I should be able install the lights and post a piccy.

Cheers,
    Mat.

9. dvdsubtitles

dvdsubtitles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right, finally got around to getting photos. The lights are not bright enough to really notice with the TV on, but it does look very pretty with the TV off....

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    Mat

10. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    That looks really good. How many tubes did you use and how much did it all come to?

I've suddenly become tempted to backlight my TV and maybe the equipment rack and main speakers...

11. dvdsubtitles

dvdsubtitles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it's just 2 cold cathode tubes from maplins, plus a suitable mains transformer. I think I spent about £30 altogether. If you intend to use many tubes I am sure it is probably cheaper to obtain them off the net from PC modding websites.

See my other post here for more info.

Cheers,
    Mat.

12. phils_wicked

phils_wicked

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16