Back in the projector, Game! recommendations around £1500

Spacecat

Ex Member
Reaction score
After quite few years of sticking to my beloved 60inch KRP600a Pioneer TV , I am ready to get back in the projector game, I still have my old Toshiba LCD Projector M8 from years ago but I haven't powered it up in years.

I now have access to my own personal man cave an converted integral garage that I use for working out.
I can paint it any colour I want..i.e. matt black, it will need to be dual purpose I need to be able to workout and watch movies in it which I think I can do.

to accommodate my gym equipment the viewing distance will be about 10-11ft

I am susceptible to rainbows so DLP is out.

My old Toshiba suffered a bit from screen door effect which is a complete no no some 11 years later and I would like to have really good 3d , ie. minimal cross talk etc., my 6 year old boy will also be a regular viewer and he loves 3d as well and of course the missus will want to watch

ideally I would like to spend between £1k-£1.5 and am undecided whether to go for to go one of the new midrange projectors just out i.e. the Epson 7200 or the new untested sony 40Es?

or pick up a higher spec older model from the classifieds etc

any tips or recommendations would be appreciated

I will be running movies through my ps3 and possibly a PC

If the projector is also good for a bit of gaming that would be great as well

thanks for reading

PS Pull down screen recommendations would be good to, again towards the more budget end of the market

Last edited:
Yes deffo make your own screen, very easy to do and cost about £50 max and so much better than a cheapo screen which will show creases and edge curl within a few months.See pics of my DIY screen in the thread below.

Screen or no screen | AVForums

Regards second hand pj's JVC X30's are coming up fairly regularly for £1250-1350 failing that a new Epson 7200/Sony HW40 is your best bet.

Since it's a dedicated cave are you sure that you can't get/build fixed screen, that would be so much better in budget range.

I can totally control the light but the screen will be mounted in front of a window and I would like to be able to have natural light when I workout so it has to be dual purpose.

I was thinking of getting a neutral colour black out screen and reversing so the greyish back of the screen blackout material acted as the projector screen ?

Im strongly considering the 7200 and the HW40 ...I don't think there have been any HW40 reviews as yet?

How is the JVC X30 at gaming i.e. input lag etc

Last edited:
I can totally control the light but the screen will be mounted in front of a window and I would like to be able to have natural light when I workout so it has to be dual purpose.

I was thinking of getting a neutral colour black out screen and reversing so the greyish back of the screen blackout material acted as the projector screen ?

Im strongly considering the 7200 and the HW40 ...I don't think there have been any HW40 reviews as yet?

How is the JVC X30 at gaming i.e. input lag etc

Sony and DLP are the best for gaming and lag. As you have ruled out DLP, Sony is possibly your primary gaming machine.

There are plenty of people using the JVCs and Epsons for gaming, but they certainly not the best for lag, so not depends how much of a serious gamer, and sensitive you are to lag.

Hope that helps:)

Sony and DLP are the best for gaming and lag. As you have ruled out DLP, Sony is possibly your primary gaming machine.

There are plenty of people using the JVCs and Epsons for gaming, but they certainly not the best for lag, so not depends how much of a serious gamer, and sensitive you are to lag.

Hope that helps:)
thanks I tend to play games more on my pc but as I will be using a ps3 to watch movies from a bit of ps3 gaming in 3d and 2d would be good to

I have seen pictures of MDF-screens that can be raised to ceiling when not in use but I don't know how easy or cheap that sort of lift system is to do.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom