Back dated pay rise after leaving company.

stereobfs

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
We should get the annual pay rise in November 2018 but the talks were postponed and they could not agree the amount with the union etc.
Finally, the pay rise was agreed on 23 December 2019.
Unfortunately, i left the company on 14 December 19 ( week before it was agreed). So everyone got the back pay today ( backdated from November 2018) and i got nothing.

Is anyone was in similar situation and can advise if i am legally eligible to get the higher hourly rate back dated for the hours i worked ?

Thanks!

Last edited:
It was agreed after you left - why would you think you are due anything?

Backdated pay is something that employees get - not ex-employees. Imagine they paid out to everyone who has left the company during the year??

You've left - move on with life.

sorry if that sounds harsh.

Why would i think i am due anything?
Because the annual pay raise meant to be in November 2018 and i worked the hours until the December 2019 which meant to be on the higher rate.
That is why i am think i am due the money for the hours i worked.

I’d like to think you’d be owed something but I do not know for sure. Call the union and see what they advise. Good luck.

Probably depends on the company policy I would imagine. I would either speak to the union or an employment lawyer to clarify if this is covered by employment law.

Have you tried asking them?
We only used to pay on backdated pay rises if ex employees got in touch and queried it.

Depends on the company. Here are to of my experiences, related to bonuses accrued Jan to Dec but calculated and paid the following March

Company 1 - an ex-public company still operating under government rules. I left half way through the year. About 9 months after I had left I received a letter saying “you worked half of the year so here is a cheque gor half the bonus”

Company 2 - private company.
People leave in Jan, Feb and March, even made redundant in those months, having worked the whole of the qualifying year but they get absolutely nothing.

Back pay is a little different, how much does it amount to, if a lot it may be worth having an initial meeting with an employment lawyer to see if you have a case.

Cheers,

Nigel

OK - look at it another way - Have you tried calling or speaking to your ex-employers? What do they say? I would start there and then find out your options.

No one here is going to be able to tell you whether your due anything or not.

No one here is going to be able to tell you whether your due anything or not.
Ok, chill out... as you can see above, there is some people who was in similar situation.. I am not expecting definite answer, i thought that what the forum is for??

Have you tried asking them?
We only used to pay on backdated pay rises if ex employees got in touch and queried it.
I will try and call them on Monday. I was hoping to get it automatically, but probably i am not in the payroll anymore. Cheers.

I will try and call them on Monday. I was hoping to get it automatically, but probably i am not in the payroll anymore. Cheers.

I used to do the payroll for over 1k public sector employees and we would only pay when they asked so definitely worth giving them a call.

Is this annual pay rise in the contract?

I was talking with HR today and indeed they will pay out the pay rise for the hours i worked:)

However, they require me to put the request on writing.
Thanks everyone for advise ! Im so glad i chased this up as for me its a lot of money ( over two weeks pay).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom