Question Back Box Size So Ethernet Keystone Fits

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by thestig230, Dec 1, 2015.

1. thestig230

thestig230

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    I have a four port ethernet face plate to go on the wall behind my TV.

What is the minimum depth of back box required so that the keystones + cables will fit without leaving a gap on the front when I screw the face plate on.

I'm thinking 46mm will do the job? Screwfix.com - Power Tools, Electrical, Plumbing Supplies & more

Thanks in advance.

2. rs6mra

rs6mra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Seems like you might overthinking this. In my experience the size of the back box should not make any difference as to how the face plate fits. The depth of the back box will very much depend on what you are fitting it on to. If its plasterboard then the size of the wall cavity makes no difference. A 35mm back box would more than do the job. With a metal back box it will of course depend on the depth you create to hold the back box. If you go too wide with the opening you will end up with a gap when you screw the face plate on and that is where the filler comes in............

3. thestig230

thestig230

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    Thanks for your reply however,
    It's a surface mount box onto a brick wall as per the link above. If I don't get the correct depth then the faceplate will not sit properly.

4. rs6mra

rs6mra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Its a case of getting the correct depth and 35mm should suffice.
    I am in the process moving sockets from skirting boards on to the brick wall and I have used 35mm back boxes. What I did was take the plaster off which was about 20mm and then chipped into the brick another 15mm to hold the back box and then created a channel for the cable.
    I also fitted at the weekend a 35mm back box on to plasterboard and installed 4 ports with keystone jacks.