• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Babylon 5 Seasons 1-4

tazpc

yahkjr

Standard Member
Just been to their site and they are also selling Babylon 5 - The Complete Series 1-5 + 3 Movies (Set) (DVD) (33 Discs) for £129.99 on pre order.

But if you buy each series, 1-5, at £16.99 and the three movies, as a single item, for £26.64 on pre order that comes to £111.19, saving £18.80 .

DVDcake

Great spot. Just got seasons three and four at that price after almost previously ordering them at £29.99 each at choices and that was the cheapest I could find then. Glad I waited. :smashin:

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
yahkjr said:
Just been to their site and they are also selling Babylon 5 - The Complete Series 1-5 + 3 Movies (Set) (DVD) (33 Discs) for £129.99 on pre order.

But if you buy each series, 1-5, at £16.99 and the three movies, as a single item, for £26.64 on pre order that comes to £111.19, saving £18.80 .
You cant get Season 5 for £16.99 though, it is £37.99 so buying all the titles seperately gives you a total of £132.19 so you will save yourself £8.70 buying the 33 Disc Set ut if like me you already have Season 1 the complete Set isnt an option.

DVDcake

I bit off topic but does anyone know if they corrected the fault on the season 1 box set where the episode, I think it was called 'the sky full of stars', would keep changing aspect ratio between the cgi and real parts? I had this fault on my season 1 set but would gladly spend another 16.99 if they fixed it or I could always write to Warner for a replacement although I think when it was originally spotted Warner did not seem to think it was a problem and thus they would not fix it. :rolleyes:

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
DVDcake said:
I bit off topic but does anyone know if they corrected the fault on the season 1 box set where the episode, I think it was called 'the sky full of stars', would keep changing aspect ratio between the cgi and real parts? I had this fault on my season 1 set but would gladly spend another 16.99 if they fixed it or I could always write to Warner for a replacement although I think when it was originally spotted Warner did not seem to think it was a problem and thus they would not fix it. :rolleyes:
Warner did start offering replacements of Disc 2 early last year and all future sets should have contained the corrected disc but I got Season 1 for Christmas from my sis and it contains the incorrect version and I havent heard from Warner about whether they are still replacing discs, you could always email Choices and ask if you can return the set if it is still faulty?

D

DaveP

I was on their site yesterday and I saw they still had this offer on seasons 1 to 4 so I thought it was worth a bump!

Dave

Cloysterpeteuk

Distinguished Member
Can someone breakdown the complete Babylon universe for me, never seen an episode but i'm a complete Star Trek/Gate freak so I should like it. There's the five seasons, how many movies? and a crusade spin off?, right?.

jonl1973

Standard Member
Cloysterpeteuk said:
Can someone breakdown the complete Babylon universe for me, never seen an episode but i'm a complete Star Trek/Gate freak so I should like it. There's the five seasons, how many movies? and a crusade spin off?, right?.

You can get quite a bit of background info from this website:

The Lurker's Guide to Babylon 5

It's well worth watching - in my opinion it's better than any of the Star Treks (and I'm a big fan of TNG)

steve36

The best sci-fi program ever made in my opinion, best scripts/storylines/character development.

I would say a couple of things, firstly there is a large story arc that goes from roughly 1/2 way through series 1 until the end of series 4. Secondly I own series 1 - 4 and I'm not entirely happy with the picture quality on a 42" screen, maybe it looks ok smaller.
You can't argue with £16.99 a series though.

Steve

Cloysterpeteuk

Distinguished Member
I followed that link and there was a movie(s?) that was set before the series, anyone know where the movie not in the three pack can be found cheap?.

NicolasB

Distinguished Member
Can someone breakdown the complete Babylon universe for me
If you have a couple of hours to spare, sure. :)

The pilot for the original series is usually sold separately (sometimes as part of a "Babylon 5 movies" set) with the title "The Gathering". This should be watched first.

You then have seasons 1-5. The last episode of season 5 is set many years after the rest of the season, but should be watched sequentially.

There's a feature-length "movie" called "In The Beginning" which is set 10 years before the beginning of season 1, but which is definitely designed to be viewed by people who have already seen seasons 1-4 of the TV series. It won't make any sense to you at all if you watch it first. :) It was first shown as a "prequel" in between seasons 4 and 5. I don't think it does any harm if you watch it after the end of season 5.

There are 3 other "B5 movies". "Thirdspace" is set (chronologically speaking) some time in the middle of season 4, but was made later - you could watch it after the end of season 4, or watch all 5 seasons first. "River of Souls" happens after season 5 (not counting the final episode). "A Call To Arms" is kind of a bridge between "Babylon 5" and the spin-off series "Crusade".

"Crusade" (which is a total of only 13 episodes - cut off in its prime :mad: ) takes place about 5 years after the last season of B5, and involves hardly any of the regular B5 characters, although one or two pop up from time to time.

Finally there's "Legend Of The Rangers" which was intended to be the pilot for another new series, but the pilot was never taken up, so it's now just a sad hint at what could have been. (Quite promising, I thought).

So, the sequence to watch is probably:

"The Gathering"
Season 1
Season 2
Season 3
Season 4
In The Beginning (chronologically 10 years before season 1).
Season 5
Thirdspace (chronologically in mid season 4)
River Of Souls
Call To Arms
Crusade (episodes 1-13)
Legend Of The Rangers

Battle

Distinguished Member
been waiting for these to drop in price for sooooo long now - i managed to get the first series for 15 quid a while ago by using some vouchers and have now just ordered series 2,3 & 4

The region 1 version of the movies box set is better that the Uk one as it has all 5 of the movies instead of just three (god knows why the region 2 set only has 3 of them - probably so they can screw more money out of us by releasing another boxset later)

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom