1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Babylon 5 Season 2

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by pdgnews, May 4, 2003.

1. pdgnews

pdgnews

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone got Babylon 5 season 2 (Region 1) yet? If so, is the CGI cropped like it was in season 1? And if so, does the CGI look any better?

If I recall, there was no 16:9 rendering of the CGI until late in season 5, so I expect it to be cropped still - just wondering if they did a better job with it.

I think the original plan was to re-render everything in 16:9 later on when it would be much cheaper - however, they somehow lost the backup tapes which contained all the necessary data... Grrr!

Cheerio.

2. zantarous

zantarous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Yes its cropped. However I don't think it looks too bad, especially as JMS was quite sure he would not get the chance to re-render in 16x9 so most of the sfx shots had dead space at the top and bottom.

I don't think any of the shots were rendered in 16x9 not even season 5

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,027
    Although I like to see all that was shoot at the time of filming, I have a Loewe TV that does not have the stretch mode so I watch most 4:3 stuff in the compromise mode of 14:9 the further edit will not be too much also I take it this will now be anamorphic?
    I also have the original The Time Machine and they have cropped that top and bottom to mace it 16:9 and it does not suffer too much in fact if you did not know you would never guess. I have seen worse in modern day films with head cutting.

I think B5 gave the impression that it was shoot in widescreen because the opening credits are shown this way.

4. pdgnews

pdgnews

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0