Babylon 5 season 1 con

G

graham.myers

Sat down to watch the B5 season 1 last night.

Started up the first episode, Midnight on the firing line.

watched it through and then realised it wasn't the first episode!!

Where's the damm pilot!!!

what a con, I was expecting "In the begining", I now find this is a seperate disk

not a happy bunny, still had to order it tho:mad:

Hardly a con. There are 22 episodes in the set as claimed.

The Gathering is available with In The Beginning on a double sided dvd quite cheaply.

but how you can you have a 'first season' without the pilot?

I'm not usually up on episode names, so wasn't aware that midnight wasn't the pilot.

Originally posted by graham.myers
but how you can you have a 'first season' without the pilot?

I'm not usually up on episode names, so wasn't aware that midnight wasn't the pilot.

The Gathering was released initially to gauge the demand for B5 dvds. Only when it sold so well did Warner take the decision to go ahead with the S1 roll out. It could be argued that as many B5 fans had already bought the Gathering seperately, they wouldn't want to buy it again.

My main gripe about the B5 dvd release is the schedule. Six months between releases is such a pain in the botty.

what a con, I was expecting "In the begining", I now find this is a seperate disk

In the begining is not the pilot of B5. Infact I recomend that you do not watch it until after you have seen seasons 1-4 as it spoils many of the major story lines.

The Gathering may be the pilot but it was never part of season 1 as they were filmed almost a year apart and also most of the actors were recast for the series.

The current season 1 set is superb value for money, 22 episodes in widscreen and 5.1 sound for £35 with decent extras.

Ah yes got confused. soz

I order the R1 twin film disk. it has both in the begining and the gathering.

oops.

thanks for putting me straight, and I'll watch the right one :blush:

Just wish they would sort out the lip sync probs in 'soul hunter' and the major mistake with aspect ratios / anamorphic / wss in 'and the sky was full of stars'

Shows the kwality :) department at Warner was doing nothing

In the second episode - Soul Hunter when the guy gets killed in brown sector (or is it "down Below", whichever) there are tons of vertical lines in the frame, really naff.

I think both those probs with Soul Hunter were on the original print, I watched the VHS version after seeing the the DVD version, the lip sync prob is there too so it more likely that it is ADR and not lip sync.

I think the prob with the blue lines is not so bad on the VHS version cause the resolution is a lot lower. As to regards with the slow release I think Warner are looking at speeding it up, there are rumours of season 2, 3 & 4 being released in 2003.

Althougth the prob with sky full of stars is inexcusable and should be fixed or next time I will only be bying region 1.:mad:

Thankfully I got R1 - 2nd hand off these very forums:D

I saw some lip sync probs with the video conference back to Earth in the first episode, but after that I'd downed a bottle of wine so didn't notice anymore.

stopped after Soul Hunter once I'd realised I'd missed the pilot. So ordered that today and will resume once that arrives.

B5, that takes me back a few years, just talking to my M8 about the Star Wars Trilogy, who was Darth etc etc. and I asked if he had ever watched B5, which he had'nt. I can remember rushing home at a ton ten so as never to miss an episode.

What exactly is out on DVD, I cant remember how the episodes ran. Im only interested up to the final battle and Za ha du parts, I know it continued after this, but once the shadow plot was over I lost interest.

Originally posted by karkus30
I cant remember how the episodes ran. .

Episode 1

then
Episode 2

then, now keep up, episode 3 ad nauseaum

no seriously, I would have expected the pilot to be called episode one and The DVD's first episode to be episode 2.

ah well, back to Stargate SG-1 where they know how to number the episodes. Still can't release the DVDs in order though.

Originally posted by karkus30

What exactly is out on DVD, I cant remember how the episodes ran. Im only interested up to the final battle and Za ha du parts, I know it continued after this, but once the shadow plot was over I lost interest.

The pilot (The Gathering), 2nd film (In the begining) and season 1 are out on DVD

The pilot and 2nd film are sold as a double sided disc in R1 and R4 but two separate discs in R2. R4 comes in a keep case and is NTSC whereas R1 and R2 are snappers. Personally I went for R4.

Season 1 has a major mastering error on the R2 version which is not on the R1 edition

What exactly is out on DVD, I cant remember how the episodes ran

Currently available is the pilot and In the Begining, 2 seperate discs on R2 and a double sided disc on R1.

And also available is the whole of season 1. Season 2 is slated for a March/April release, season 3 is penciled in for Sept and rumours of Dec for season 4.

There was a weak bit in between the end of the shadow war and the battle for Earth. But if you really liked the show watch it the whole way through it really as good as you remember. Not long ago I watched the entire run over a 28 day period (golden jubilee weekend my girlfriend and I watched 28 episodes) and it really has aged very well.

Never has been and never will there be anything this good on TV again.

so that would be all 4 seasons, at which point did the weak point start, was that at the end of season 3? Its Ok if you are one of these people that know all the episodes inside out, but I havent watched it since the final battle and some bits I can just about remember which revolved around some sort of priests that seemed to be set in medieval times after technology had gone down hill. This is the bit which made me lose interest.

The episode you are describing is Deconstruction of Falling Stars which in the running order is the last episode of Season 4. Originaly when season 5 didn't look likely the final episode was filmed to be broadcast as the last episode, Sleeping in Light.

At the last moment a fifth season was greenlighted and a new episode was filmed to be the last episode of season 4 (Deconstruction of Falling Stars). Personaly I liked this episode cause it was so different from what had come before and was more like science fiction then anything that had been done on the show.

The last season was a bit slow to begin with but once it picked up pace it ended with a bang. Well worth trying to catch the show on Sci Fi or Bravo.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom