Babylon 5 quality question

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by jonwalton, Apr 12, 2002.

1. jonwalton

jonwalton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just watched the R1 release of Babylon 5: In the Beginning (I haven't watched the Gathering yet). The quality was awful. It was heavily grainy in places - like watching TV through an indoor aerial with dodgy reception. Is my disc damaged or are they all like this? And is the R2 version any better? It is certainly more expensive (but then, aren't they all?). I know it's not my player (Yelo 800 DVD) because other discs are fine, comparable in quality to my Sony DVP S336.

2. Paul Young

Paul Young

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hav`ent got them due to what i read about the R2 picture quality. What i read in magazine can`t remember which one There is an obvious picture fuzzness or something on digital FX due to a NTSC digital FX difficulty in a PAL transfer, so the FX scences are NTSC on the PAL disc apparently so the picture quailty not that great.

3. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    I have the r1 copy, only received it this morning, but have yet to watch them, as soon as I get the chance I will report back.
    I will be viewing on a 80" widescreen in progressive scan.

4. jonwalton

jonwalton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm watching on a crappy little 13" TV because the 21" I had borrowed off my parents was taken back when their's broke. However, I don't think the TV is the problem, because other DVDs don't look bad (except some of the early Stargate volumes, like no. 3). I'll probably have to wait till my 21st for a decent TV, because I'm a poor student.

The fuzziness seemed to be worse on normal scenes than the FX, generally on non-closeup scenes. I think the WB was being lazy when they made the transfer.

I haven't watched the Gathering yet, I might just watch my old VHS copy, it is probably better...

5. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    I have now checked out the first 5 minutes of both films, I would have to agree with you jon, they are a bit fuzzy and soft, they did look better when i switched to progressive scan, annoying really, you think they would make a decent job of transfering them now, they must have had enough experience.
    I am not sure if the vhs release would look any better.

:mad:

6. Aqualung

Aqualung
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just managed to catch up on this thread. Have not bought this yet as I am not convinced that it is worth it. I am however a BIG B5 fan.

I read somewhere nearly 2 years ago that there was an 'argument' going on between WB and JMS about the sound format for the DVD's. If I remember right WB wanted stereo only, but I can't remember what JMS wanted. Hopefully he wanted DD5.1 to show off his story lines and special effects to their best. Then, as with these things, all went quiet.

I hope WB won if the quality is that bad. After hearing all I have about the sound & picture quality I think I will stick with my video's for now.

JMS is the only person who can influence things now.

7. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    JMS lost! they are in Dolby Surround :(
    The picture isnt that bad, just not up to the usual standerds of DVD.