Babylon 5 - Any Fans Out There Who Can Help?

soundstory

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm about to unleash Babylon 5 on my Girlfriend.

I haven't seen it since it was on Channel 4 many years ago.

I loved it & my partner is really enjoying Battlestar Galactica at the moment so I think she'll love it.

One question, I never really enjoyed Season One, so I thought I'd start off with Season Two thinking that (from memory) when Bruce turns up on the scene, he gets introduced to the myriad of characters.

Is this the case?

Do I really need for her to watch any season one eps?

Watch the pilot episode, The Gathering.

Most of the races are introduced and Sinclair's back story "there is a hole in your mind" is briefly touched upon.

KH

While most fans seem to agree that season1 is very much a slow and variable introduction to the show I still think there are plot points and character studies that have to be watched to make more sense of season 2 onwards.

Selective watching of season1 could prove beneficial especially given the season 1 finale which really did ask many questions:)

I too thought the first season was the slowest of the lot and picked up in season 2 but even so the first season was good and would not skip to season 2.

While most fans seem to agree that season1 is very much a slow and variable introduction to the show I still think there are plot points and character studies that have to be watched to make more sense of season 2 onwards.

Selective watching of season1 could prove beneficial especially given the season 1 finale which really did ask many questions:)

Hi Starburst,

Which ep's in season 1 do you think would be a good choice?

Hi Starburst,

Which ep's in season 1 do you think would be a good choice?

Blimey:)

Errr, well I'd skip the pilot movie for a start.
After that.

Midnight on the Firing Line
Born to the Purple
The Parliament of Dreams
Mind War
And the Sky Full of Stars
Survivors
Signs and Portents
Eyes
Legacies
A Voice in the Wilderness (1 & 2)
Babylon Squared
Chrysalis

That would be my must watch list but there are a few more that add flavour but are not essential and a couple which should be avoided:)
It's probably a good ides to reacquaint yourself with the first season if only though an episode guide at Lurkers or other resource.

The Babylon podcast is also a fantastic resource for the fan.

I loved B5 when it was on all the way upto the final few esp when it really really went down hill.

The first series is worth watching as it lays down quiet a bit of the eventual plot.

could do with a repeat on sci-fi or somewhere from the beginning ...

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Although Season 1 is a bit slow and awkward a lot of the plot groundwork is laid to setup subsequent seasons. Plus you can't miss out on Babylon Squared. :cool: :smashin: Watch Season 1, you know it makes sense. ;)

S.

Agreed. Watch it from the start, every episode. Some might be a bit variable/slow but its worth it in the long run.

Likewise i lent a workmate Firefly recently, warning him its slow to start. His attitude went from "ugh its not great is it" to "wow best scifi ever" just from some gentle nagging to keep at it and watch them all. I might throw B5 at him now :devil:

Mind War
Signs and Portents
Babylon Squared
Chrysalis
I think you nailed it with your list, and I'd say these ones in particular are essential :thumbsup:

I did a full rewatch of the series last year and came away from it equally as impressed as I was the first time around, if not moreso. I then tried to watch the movies and stalled after Thirdspace. I must get back to them as I really would like to rewatch Crusade as well before moving onto the Lost Tales :)

Mind War
Signs and Portents
Babylon Squared
Chrysalis

I think you nailed it with your list, and I'd say these ones in particular are essential :thumbsup:

I did a full rewatch of the series last year and came away from it equally as impressed as I was the first time around, if not moreso. I then tried to watch the movies and stalled after Thirdspace. I must get back to them as I really would like to rewatch Crusade as well before moving onto the Lost Tales :)

I would agree with willowroolz that starburst has nailed it with his list and with the addition of "and the sky full of stars" to Willowroolz's list I would say they are the essential episodes of season one. I personally would include "the quality of mercy" not has an essential episode but for continuity purposes between Babylon squared and Chrysalis before jumping into season 2.

I have to say though sound story if your girlfriend is likely to have an awful lot of patience I would just watch every episode from "midnight on the firing line", if not just go with the essentials of season one. I'm sure she'll enjoy them more the next time round, like I'm sure you will now that you know the entire story.

Just an idea but if you don't think she's going to have the patience for the non essential Babylon 5 season one episodes. Why don't you watch those episodes on your own to give you the full experience? I think all the episodes adds something to the bigger picture.

This thread finally spurred me on to buy the first season DVD set.

There are a lot more arc-themes relating to later seasons than I recalled before, even in the more standalone episodes.

Thought I'd resurrect this thread.

Me & Mrs Soundstory are now about a quarter of the way through series 4.

& she loves it, out of all the seasons she clearly is enjoying season 4 the most.

The resolution to the Shadow War sat better with me this time than it did originally.

B5 is a quality show, and one of my all time favourites.

The characters were well thought out, and were believable, and the cast they put together were absolutely brilliant.

Such a shame that Andreas Katsulas (G'Kar) and Richard Biggs (Dr Stephen Franklin) are no longer with us.

B5 is a quality show, and one of my all time favourites.

The characters were well thought out, and were believable, and the cast they put together were absolutely brilliant.

Such a shame that Andreas Katsulas (G'Kar) and Richard Biggs (Dr Stephen Franklin) are no longer with us.

Absolutely.

Wayne Alexander who Played Lorian, was like Andreas Katsulas, such a good actor that the prosthetics enhanced the performance.

He also played Sebastian in Season2!

I've recently completed re-watching seasons 2-5 of Babylon 5 thanks to a combination of Warner TVOD and the FX channel:

Babylon 5 - Shows - FXUK.com

WBTV :: Show Info - Babylon 5 - Overview

It had been many years since I last watched the show so it was almost as good as watching it the first time :cool:

Plus now that FX are repeating season 1 again it's interesting to see how the characters were portrayed at the start compared to how I know they turn out...

we also lost Tim Choate (Zathras) a few years ago in a bike accident if my memory,s correct

RIP to them all

we also lost Tim Choate (Zathras) a few years ago in a bike accident if my memory,s correct

RIP to them all

OMG! I didn't know that!

I actually met Tim once at a convention and he was one of the nicest guys you could ever meet, and he signed his picture (as Zathras) with "To Tony - Yer GREAT!" and then said to me extremely concerned, fearing I didn't get the reference; "Tony, you do have that breakfast cereal here don't you?".

Apparently he died in Sept. 2004 aged 49.

Zathras has got to be the standout guest character in all of the series of B5!

Didn't know that he'd passed away. Bit gutted, those episodes in particular were excellent and he was certainly a character highlight.

I've recently completed re-watching seasons 2-5 of Babylon 5 thanks to a combination of Warner TVOD and the FX channel:

Babylon 5 - Shows - FXUK.com

WBTV :: Show Info - Babylon 5 - Overview

It had been many years since I last watched the show so it was almost as good as watching it the first time :cool:

Plus now that FX are repeating season 1 again it's interesting to see how the characters were portrayed at the start compared to how I know they turn out...
Season one is much better on a re-watch with so many little details that add to the show that its definitely best watching every single episode in order. :thumbsup:

Sound story did you actually watch from the beginning in the end?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom