Baby Pioneer VSX-A10

B

beth0

Its Just been released and its called the VSX-D2011.

Does anyone own one yet? if so whats it like?

there is loads about this amp on www.avsforum.com under the audio section.

rememver it is a US forum and the model number over there is vsa-45tx if i remeber.

they seem to be well regarded, but there does seem to be a problem with it cutting out, even when its not really being pushed hard.

havent really read too much about it though.

Thanks,
I've just had a look there, sounds ok apart from it shutting down.

Someone must have a U.K model they can comment on. Dont be shy.

Hello everybody,

My one is being delivered today! I'm rushing home at lunch to see if it has arrived...

I'll keep you posted with first impressions and then further details over the next few days.

Hello again,

I've just had a brief look at my shiny new receiver. First impressions upon lifting it out of the packaging are that this thing is enormous (almost twice the depth of my previous Yamaha) and very heavy.

The learning remote is also very large and looks a little cumbersome but it does have a backlit LCD display (and backlit buttons) and should prove very useful.

Also packaged with the receiver are the usual antennae and a microphone (on a thankfully long lead) for use with the automatic calibration system.

I'll be wiring it up tonight so I'll try to provide further feedback then.

On a final note, leafing through the manual I happened upon a comment regarding the automatic calibration which, to paraphrase, warned that infants and easily frightened persons should be removed from the room before activating the automatic calibration procedure and that you may wish to use earplugs!

I wonder how the neighbours will take it?

See you later,

James Graham

I'm thinking of getting one of these so I am eager to hear your impressions!

Martin

Likewise I also am very interested in this receiver.

Would dearly love to own an AX-10, but this is more my sort of price range! :D

Phew!

I've managed to wire this monster up and sonicaly first impressions are very good indeed.

As a bit of background, the supporting cast of AV equipment consists of a Pioneer 757Ai DVD, Eltax Symphony 8 Floorstanders & Centre, a pair of Eltax HT-2 Bi-polar Surrounds and a somewhat ageing (and wimpish) Yamaha Active Sub. All of this further supported by a Toshiba 42WT29 Rear Projection TV.

OK - So back to those first impressions...

First of all, the build quality of this receiver is superb - it's as heavy as a couple of paving stones and was a bit of a struggle to get into my custom built AV storage unit (into which it doesn't quite fit). More postively though, it smacks of quality - from the brushed silver finish to the gliding front panel and a dizzying array of connects at the rear.

Switching it on, to be greeted by a bold, confidence inducing LCD display I immediately connected the supplied microphone and launched into the MCACC (Auto Setup) with only a brief glance at the manual. That was fun! Not quite as loud as the manual's warnings seemed to suggest although it did an excellent job of balancing out the various elements of my surround setup in a less than ideal environment. Not to mention the barrage of fireworks erupting outside! I was extremely impressed by the minutae of adjustments automatically made to timing, timbre. balance, etc, etc. All in all - hours of painful tweaking saved. Great - unless you are the audiophile masochist type who likes that sort of thing.

So far, I've tried the Monsters Inc. DVD in THX Theatre mode and several CD's in Prologic II Music mode and I am very pleased with the results.

I'll keep you posted over the next few days as the rose tinted glow wears off and I get a chance to put the machine through it's paces.

DVD-Audio, SACD, DTS, MP3.

James,

Would you mind telling us where you got your pioneer from?

Thanks again for the report - look forward to the next one.

cheers

Gary

No problem, Gary.

I picked it up from AV Land (www.avland.co.uk) which certainly was not the cheapest although they were the only dealer who assured me that they were actually able to ship one to me in the near future.

I also purchased my 757 from the same people.

I'm sure we've all had the experience of pre-ordering some hotly anticipated gizmo which fails to materialise. A few years ago I had a terrible time trying to source a 717 DVD from a number of (high street) retailers all of whom were happy to take my money and none of which were able to actually give me any idea when they might get around to delivering the goods. Ultimately, Richer Sounds flew one in from Amsterdam - which was very nice of them!

Does this happen all the time - or is it just Pioneer?

James,

How did you find avland service?

What do you think of the 757ai (sorry for the dvd question)

but back to the receiver, when you get chance I would eb very interested in your views on the following:-

THX processing, impressed or not?

MCACC auto setup if it would it be a great loss?

cheers

Gary

Hello Gary,

I am perfectly happy with the service from AV Land as they actually did what they promised, i.e. Deliver the goods when they said they would!

I am very pleased with the 757. It's an excellent upgrade from my previous model, the 717. Colour and detail (via component video) is massively improved - although poor source material (like my Unforgiven DVD) looks absolutely awful due to the level of detail this player reveals. Good discs, like Gladiator, Monsters Inc. and Lord of the Rings are simply stunning.

As for the receiver:

In my opinion, THX processings brings a certain smoothness to a surround track that makes vanilla 5.1 sound quite raw in comparison. I would suppose that it is a matter of preference though I was very impressed with the difference made to viewings of Gladiator and Moulin Rouge - two very different films.

For me, MCACC (along with THX) is a major reason for purchasing this receiver. I would spend hours constantly tweaking my old Yamaha in a less than ideal environment to find that I was never completely satisfied with the result. This machine does it in ten minutes! Accounting for room acoustics, speaker distances, listening position, timbre and level. It sounds perfect to me.

I know that there is a VSX-D1011 which features THX Select certification but no MCACC. To be honest, MCACC is worth every penny and I wouldn't hesitate to spend the extra cash on the D2011.

Hope this helps,

James Graham

James

Excellent info on this many thanks - have you tried the Pioneer with music yet and if you have what are your impressions. Can the 2011 be described as a musical amp or are it's srengths mainly in the HT environment.

James,

Thanks for the info, I agree the MCACC is worth it on the 2011, but it doesn't come in black! So its the 1011 for me and I guess its the same as the 2011 except for the auto set up mic.

Did you hear the 2011 against any others before buying? what yam did you have before the pioneer?

cheers

Gary

PS. is you 757 multi region & does it play RCE?

Gary,

As the D2011 is so new, I took a risk and just went for it, without a demo...

Previously, I had a Yamaha 595 and then more recently a cheap and nasty Sony entry level receiver peforming stand in duties until the Pioneer arrived.

The 757 IS multi-region, as for RCE - I'm not so sure...

...and Dazed,

I would say that the D2011's strengths are certainly in a HT environment. However, music reproduction form CD is excellent in direct stereo (for the purists) and suprisingly pleasing in Pro-Logic II. To what degree this reflects the amplifier or the new 757 I have hooked up to it will be a matter of further investigation. Esoteric options like Hi-Bit Sampling and Legato Pro are featured in both units and will probably require a good few hours play on my part to identify exactly what effect this has on audio peformance.

I have also yet to try any DVD-Audio or SACD source material.

Any other questions? I'll continue to post further updates as long as there are interested parties, so if there is anything specific you would like me to try on your behalf please let me know.

James Graham.

James,

Thanks again for all your info.

Would you mind checking for me whether the 2011 can drive a second set of speakers (say in another room)?

You have made me start thinking about changing the system to silver just to get the auto setup mic. must have chat with the wife!!!

I would guess you arn't local anoth of a demo, say surrey!

cheers

Gary

PS. can you get pal prog scan from the 757ai?

PSS. 757ai how easy is the multi region, ie auto select etc

Hello again, Gary,

I did briefly notice a section of the manual which detailed driving a second set of speakers - I believe that you can assign unused channels to extra speaker groups for multi room audio (such as the extra surround back channel if you're not going 7.1), but don't quote me on that. I'll find out for certain and let you know. It will probably be tomorrow as I'm off to see a Hugh Cornwell gig tonight...

As for a demo, Liverpool is probably a little far for you!

Progressive scan on the 757Ai is just in the NTSC flavour - I'm not sure if there is going to be a firmware upgrade for PAL. Probably not. Multi-region is a doddle though, I've played a mix of R1 and R2 discs which have been handled automatically.

PS - It is very nice in Silver and the MCACC really is worth it!

Almost bought this pioneer Amp without testing it but read a few unhappy punters reports on av forum in the states......

So i bought the tried and tested 3802 for £599 dont really know what the pioneers like but i do know the Denon Rocks.

like the idea of the microphone tuning..i guess its like cd players in a car...all amps will have em soon...

x-man:cool:

If you are referring to the postings at www.avsforums.com then the original poster has actually tracked what seemed to be a fault with the receiver to an actual fault with one of his surround speakers. We are also talking about a 7.1 setup of reasonably high-end speakers (300W+) being pushed to VERY high volumes. The poster was pushing his receiver to -0dB and above.

The receiver (Elite 45TX in the States) was shutting down to protect his kit!

I followed this one myself.

I'm sure the Denon is great though - it looks like a fantastic piece of kit.

I've had my VSX-2011 up and running for 9 days now, I've been pushing it pretty hard and I've had no cutting out problems.

For movies it is excellent I've watched the beach landing in Saving Private Ryan about 50 times in the last week and it seems to just get better and better.

I'm not much audiophile but by my standards its music reproduction is very good, as mentioned in a previous post DPLII works well with most sources.

The only downside for me was wiring the thing up my front speakers are bi wired with some pretty chunky cable talk 4.1 biwire cable this was an absolute nightmare to get wired up.

;)

I had the same bi-wiring fun myself!

It's a bit of a pain, this 'cutting-out' rumour, which seems to have spread across the Atlantic and beyond and is obviously putting people off the D2011.

Especially when the originator of this particular issue actually tracked it down to a faulty speaker.

does the 2011 not have binding posts, that you can pull the little plastic plugs out of to put ixos plugs into?

So Guys,

Any further thoughts on the pioneer after a week or so of owning one?

Do you have the option to turn off the THX processing if you wish?

Cheers

Gary

Hi james

Could you tell me how high the pioneer is please and if used in a 5.1 setup can the two unused channels be used to bi-amp the main speakers? Also would you say it runs hot?

thanks for the info

Cheers:)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom