Baby Monitors - what do you recommend?

Daft Ada

Distinguished Member
I’m looking to pick up a baby monitor for our nursery, little ‘un won’t be in there for a few months but I thought there might be a bargain or two in Black Friday sales. Got my eye on the Motorola MBP50 or BT 6000 on Amazon, both are on sale at the moment (£110 and £118 respectively). Are these any good or are there better models in that price range? Thanks in advance!

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
I’ve had two or three different BT video monitors over the years and always worked well. Video monitors are like marmite on here but I think it was my single best purchase when we first had kids. I still use it now and my daughter turns 5 next week.

djmc321

Word of caution, with these video monitors I'd recommend keeping it as simple as possible. We went through 3 of those Motorola WiFi ones (actually made by Binatone and rebranded as Moto) and a Chinese WiFi one because I was convinced that I wanted a smart camera like the rest of my gadgets. But after a bunch of faults and problems (which are magnified 1000% when you are sleep deprived) I stuck to a basic Amazon baby monitor which is rock solid and no issues in over 2 years. We've bought a 2nd one for new baby arriving next spring.

It's this one: HelloBaby Wireless Video Baby Monitor with Digital Camera, Night Vision Temperature Monitoring & 2 Way Talkback System, White (HB32): Amazon.co.uk: Baby

152bobby

I've tried a few of these over the years. There are two things to be made aware of before buying one of these baby monitors.

You can buy the best and most expensive baby monitor on the market, but if your WiFi is no good, then forget it. Also consider how many walls the wireless monitor needs to go through and what are the walls made of !!!

Most modern houses walls are crap nowadays and are just wooden stud partitions with plasterboard, so you would think it would be fine.

I won't even mention other electrical items that may interfere with it.

It's a pure case of do your research, read reviews and buy one and see how it goes. What works in one house may not work in another !!!

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
That is true.
I'm using the same BT video monitor that I had in a 3 storey new build town house (baby on top floor) as I do now in a 1960s semi with brick wall. It worked fine in both cases. Reading reviews is key.

Sotiega

Standard Member
I have used the heimvision HM136 with my own little son and I can tell you, it is fantastic. It does everything you would want. There are many reviews online and almost all of them are good. I have recommended it to several of my friends and they also love it. I would highly recommend it.

jaipal2004

We had the Angel Care brand of monitors for all of our 4 - it comes with a sensor pad.

Th video is a nice thing but generally babies are going to be asleep so do you really want to see that? It's certainly not for everybody.

FOr us the biggest danger was cot death and the sensor pad was invaluable in giving extra piece of mind as it'll go off if it doesn't detect movement (adjustable sensitivity etc).

I think we paid £80'ish for the top model at the time but it's great - temperature display, out of range buzzer etc, can get additonal bits for it etc.

Hope that helps!

olivia07

Novice Member
I’m looking to pick up a baby monitor for our nursery, little ‘un won’t be in there for a few months but I thought there might be a bargain or two in Black Friday sales. Got my eye on the Motorola MBP50 or BT 6000 on Amazon, both are on sale at the moment (£110 and £118 respectively). Are these any good or are there better models in that price range? Thanks in advance!
if you want a baby monitor that you can use without worries of getting hacked, i highly recommend you get the infant optics dxr-8 monitor or any other non wifi baby monitor with positive feedback.

adamdavi3s

If it helps ourMotorola MBP36s has been going strong for 4 years and works even though our house is pretty long. I self replaced the battery (super easy) about 2 years ago. Was also very easy to add a second camera when we had our second. Not on the wifi either so hackability is limited

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom