• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

B8 to New Sony AVR ARC Problems

maxcovergold

Hi all,

So I purchased a LG55B8PLA and Sony STR-HD790 (little bother to STR-DN1080 so possibly similar set up) from RS last week.

I swapped the AVR last night as I was getting a hum from the PSU which I wouldn't deem insignificant. Upon installing the replacement first thing to notice is I still have the hum, despite not noticing it in their shop. Second thing was putting it through it's paces, I loaded up WebOS Netflix on the B8 and started playing BirdBox, which has Dolby Vision and Atoms.

I started getting stuttering audio, which I didn't on the previous AVR. The display on the AVR was flickering between DSUR (Dolby Surround) and DD+ (Dolby Digital Plus) constantly with only the occasional audio being heard as it switched the formats around.

On advise in the B8 owners thread, I power cycled the TV at the wall and upon testing again I am no longer getting the stuttering audio and instead the AVR is just displaying DSUR and sound is coming through fine, but not streaming in DD+ at all.

I believe I have all settings set correctly for sending audio over Arc, TV to auto and output via Arc (previously was PCM and only did 2 channels) and my understanding is that the B8, lacking eArc should pass Atmos as Dolby Digital Plus to the receiver. I have 200MB broadband and the HDMI cable in 2.0b capable.

I will I could remember for certain whether the previous AVR was playing Netflix Atmos content as DD+ or DSUR, but cannot and wondering whether to call RS when they open to see if they still have my returned unit to swap back.

Anyone experience similar issues or have any suggestions? A big selling point on getting these two new pieces of kit was to experience Atmos and the built in functionality of the TV.

D

Deleted member 39241

Currently 5.1, waiting on some speakers to be delivered for 5.1.2 config. Should the AVR still not decode DD+ though?
A-ha. As you haven't yet got the AVR configured for atmos audio then that is why you are not getting atmos from netflix. It seems that you are getting dolby digital plus, which is as it should be?

maxcovergold

A-ha. As you haven't yet got the AVR configured for atmos audio then that is why you are not getting atmos from netflix. It seems that you are getting dolby digital plus, which is as it should be?
I don't think so. The problem is I am not getting Dolby Digital Plus (which can be an Atmos lossy track).

DSUR in the manual means Dolby Surround which is an upmixer and as I saw the amp flash DD+ when I was having the stuttering issue, I expect the AVR should be showing that if it was decoding the correct format

D

Deleted member 39241

I don't think so. The problem is I am not getting Dolby Digital Plus (which can be an Atmos lossy track).

DSUR in the manual means Dolby Surround which is an upmixer and as I saw the amp flash DD+ when I was having the stuttering issue, I expect the AVR should be showing that if it was decoding the correct format
Have you got dolby surround switched on? What happens if you put the AVR into straight or direct mode?

maxcovergold

Have you got dolby surround switched on? What happens if you put the AVR into straight or direct mode?
Blimey, think that's fixed it. Though was instructing my wife over the phone for testing, put that down as a win in the relationship strength column!

Bit weird but I'm happy now I've managed to get DD+ out and I'll test further once the highs are in.

For reference, I had my AVR set to 'AFD' (Auto Format Decoding) which "Decodes and plays back audio signals using the optimal processing method according to the audio signal input."

This is a sound field in the listening mode of '2CH/MULTI', within that mode there are also, '2ch Stereo', 'Multi Ch Stereo' and 'Direct'.

Now despite having AFD selected and active when the content was playing (can be confirmed by toggling with 'display' button on AVR remote, where it said 'AFD' the AVR showed was playing as 'DSUR', which is:
"Dolby Surround upmixer expands traditional audio content for playback through any multi-channel speaker configuration, including height speakers. This makes it possible to reproduce height information for sound images even when playing back conventional movie or audio content, providing a more realistic sense of immersion than ever before. This upmixer is a new and enhanced replacement for the popular Dolby Pro Logic II technology."

This Sound Field is part of the 'Movie' listening mode along with other sound fields that are all "processed" and not as original source, so really weird was coming up when listening mode was set to '2CH/MULTI'. Seems like the AFD mode must allow moving across listening modes.

Anyway, by keeping listening mode but changing to sound field 'Direct' I am now seeing DD+ on the amp on Netflix content, which hopefully means I'll get Atmos lossy once I have the new delivered and set up. Tested going back to live TV, which gave PCM 2 channel and then back to Netflix at DD+ with no issue.

Why AFD would want to upmix a lesser quality audio stream is beyond me.

No bad testing with Mrs. behind the remote ;-)

zjm

Standard Member
Sorry to revive this thread did you find a fix? I have raised a case wtih Sony. When on direct the height speakers are greyed.out for me.

Firestick Prime - DIRECT = DD+ (height speakers grey out)
Firestick Netflix - DIRECT = DD+ (height speakers grey out)
Firestick Disney+ - DIRECT = DD+ (height speakers grey out)

Firestick Prime - AFD= DSUR
Firestick Netflix - AFD= DSUR
Firestick Disney+ - AFD= DSUR

Firestick Prime - Dolby= DSUR
Firestick Netflix - Dolby= DSUR
Firestick Disney+ - Dolby= DSUR

Firestick Prime - Nueral-x= DD+
Firestick Netflix - Nueral-x= DD+
Firestick Disney+ - Nueral-x= DD+

---------

Sky Q Box Netflix Netflix - DIRECT = DD+ (height speakers grey out)
Sky Q Box Netflix Disney+ - DIRECT = DD+ (height speakers grey out)

Sky Q Box Netflix - AFD= DSUR
Sky Q Box Disney+ - AFD= DSUR

Sky Q Box Netflix - Dolby= DSUR
Sky Q Box Disney+ - Dolby= DSUR

Sky Q Box Netflix - Nueral-x= DD+
Sky Q Box Disney+ - Nueral-x= DD+

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom