Question B7V vs XE9005

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by outofmyhead, May 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. outofmyhead

outofmyhead
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have been looking around for a few days now, after buying the PS4 Pro and God of War it seems my 5 year old 55" 1080P TV is not really upto the task, that is driving 4K HDR content.
    So the decision is between the LG 55B7V vs SONY 65XE9005 they are both around ~1500€ and the 65B7V is about 2100€. Main "issue" i have with OLED is fear of permanent burn in.
    And since I got 5 years out of my last TV would be nice to get 5 out of the next one aswell.
    But following that logic I might aswell grab the 65B7V and enjoy the best screen in the biggest size I can afford ?
    As I understand from reviews and seeing the cheaper TV-s in the store they are not worth it.
    Main usage is movies,series and gaming viewing distance is ~3 meters.
    I was about to pull the trigger on the 55B7V but not sure if I would get a better experience from the 65" Sony since I have only read good things about it, yes it`s not on OLED level but still very good.
    I have the ability to control the light in my room via shades, so that`s not the problem.
    Went to see both in the store, and the OLED had a much bigger "wow" effect, just not sure about the size.
    Any thoughts?

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,051
    A common dilemma shared by many.

Basically;
    LG B7 - Better HDR and overall picture quality, poorer sources will look better on a smaller screen.

Sony XE9005 - Decent HDR rather than good, more detail with good sources, poorer sources will look poorer and you'll get more immersion from a bigger TV.

At 3m away you view far too far to notice UHD on even a 65" model but at that distance, FHD will look like it has more detail on a larger TV. You ideally want to be viewing 1m from a 55" and 1.2m from a 65" to get the most detail from UHD sources like UHD games.

HDR however can be benefited from regardless of how close you view.

1. I'd be aware of a few things, firstly, depending on your current TV you may be shocked how well it holds up against todays models, in many respects TVs produced a few years ago can be better quality than those today, even if they are not HDR or UHD.
    2. If you use a console to render games at UHD rather than FHD then a lot of games will dial the quality and/or frame rate down from 60fps to 30fps so the experience of gaming at UHD, if you sit close enough that is will give you more detail, but less smoothness.
    3. HDR is just an enhancement to picture quality, in my personal opinion it's overhyped and offers subtle benefits rather than the magical amazing pictures you hear about being acclaimed. The jump from HD to UHD and HDR for me is far less than it was jumping the first time from SD to HD 10 years ago.
    There is more about viewing distance recommendations and the above points here: Should I upgrade? - UHD vs FHD

3. george1979

george1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Just to second what dodge said - I have had a 2016 LG OLED for the past year and I'm also a gamer. Very occasionally you can see some slight image retention after switching the TV off - kinda like a slight shadow on the screen. This has never remained for long and the TV does an automatic refresh cycle regularly (I can't remember how often).

Not once has image retention been even a slight concern to me and that's a 2016 model. The recent models will be even more refined in terms of the tech used to prevent this. In short I wouldn't let this influence you in choosing OLED. Of course mine is going back now since it started randomly switching off but that a different matter haha.
    I will miss that slight satisfaction when I the firestick goes into standby and I need to check if the TV is still on because the screen is so perfectly black. The contrast on them really is mesmerising. If I had the cash spare right now I'd definitely get another OLED.

For me I'd rather have that picture quality than a larger screen but if you can afford the bigger OLED then I'd say go for it.

Good luck with it, hope you enjoy it whatever you decide on

4. outofmyhead

outofmyhead
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the input guys, I have decided to go for the 55B7V, I am not made of money and perhaps in a year or two I can buy a bigger OLED for a lower price.
    I have been using my old 55" for 5 years now and have been quite okay with the screen size, but what has been disapointing have been the colors and the contrast also edge lighting is pretty terrible, OLED should fix all that, and I am sure it will be lovely, should arrive in a few days! Cant wait to clock some more hours on God of War and have another go at one of my all time favorite games The Last of Us!

5. george1979

george1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    You won't be disappointed. Enjoy!

6. Analysis

Analysis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    The best value right now.

7. indyit

indyit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I figured I'd highjack this thread because I'm trying to make a decision between the same TVs and if I should be upgrading right now. Apologies if I should be posting this separately!

Unlike OP I'm really only considering the 55'' TVs at the moment, but I guess I'd go for the 65 if the benefit of size with the XE900 outweighs getting the B7V. Currently the XE900 is £999 at John Lewis and the B7V is £1420 at Richer Sounds. I currently own an old 46'' Samsung C530 1080p LCD TV (from 2011).

I play videogames regularly, with most of my gaming on a PS4 and I share other consoles with my housemates and play on those occasionally (Nintendo switch, Wii U, Xbox 360/PS3 and sometimes use Steam Link). I would look to buy a PS4 Pro if I got a new TV.

I also watch a lot of television/clips and movies, usually through your usual streaming apps like Netflix, Prime, Now TV and youtube as well as having a Sky cable box. I also use Plex to watch some content off my computer. I watch Blurays from time to time but a UHD player seems a little out of my reach atm, especially because the PS4 Pro annoyingly doesn't have playback capabilities and that's a more likely purchase first than an xbox one X, but I would look to buy a player eventually when prices are £100 or under for a player.

My living room is fairly light during daytime but it isn't super bright and we've got blinds that help reduce the amount of light coming in a bit. The main couch is about 1.5m away, maybe 1.6m. Most use of the TV is usually during evenings where the living room is usually in a pretty low light setting.

I'm leaning towards the B7 atm because it seems to be the better choice overall, but I'm wondering if I should be rushing to buy it now for £1420 or if it should be fine to wait a little longer until I can afford to buy it and a PS4 Pro at the same time and still get it for that price at a reputable seller (pretty much only considering JL or RS atm unless anyone recommends anyone else).

I don't however want to end up missing out on it, considering both are last years models. I guess if they disappear, my alternative will be to wait until Black Friday or next year and go for the B8/C8 or XF900 or something like that instead because a pattern seems to be forming with these tvs being out of my budget to begin with but coming into the 1500ish mark after a year or so.

Any help would be appreciated!

8. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +831
    Get the B7 now. The B8 is essentially the same as it. No substantial changes.

As for retailers, Crampton and Moore; Peter Tyson and Sevenoaks are all very good too.

9. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,051
    Sounds like you are going to use HDR quite a bit so yeah, get the B7. Look at the OLED Price Changes thread, seen someone quote a price of £1350.

Size versus quality depends on various things, on a bigger TV, sources will have more detail and the more immersion you'll have but the worse HDR and worse sources will look also.

Many people don't view close enough to benefit from UHD on even a 65" TV, let alone 55".

10. indyit

indyit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the advice. The price seems steady so I'm contemplating waiting till my next paycheck (so I can afford the ps4 pro as well) which is still a month away but would kick myself if it went up in price or disappeared. I don't have a car so need a store that delivers, so richer sounds price and free delivery is a great fit. Just a shame I missed it being £1350 cause I didn't pull the trigger a couple days ago! My only concern is that I won't really have anything 4k to test with, but assume the built in apps run 4k on Amazon and Netflix well enough.

11. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +831
    Apps will be 4K/HDR, obviously depends on your sub if you will get the full fat versions.

I think there’ll be a few used uhd players knocking about as the latest gen hits the market, might be worth keeping an eye on the classifieds here. Cheapest uhd player so far has been £129 new.

12. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,051
    I bought a UB900 spinner from Panasonic's refurb store for £200 on eBay. They also sell the UB700 at similar prices to the budget spinners, but it doesn't really matter getting a budget one new really.

You said you're getting a PS4 Pro though? That will be UHD and HDR, current PS4 can do HDR.

13. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +831
    I don’t think the Pro does uhd via disc? So it won’t play uhd discs...

14. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,051
    No, but the PS4 supports HDR and the pro UHD and HDR games.

15. Analysis

Analysis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    @Dodgexander

Quick Question: I can't see the vote tab onscreen anymore and my member rank has somehow been reset?

My member rank keeps being changed all the time recently.

I have turned off adblock plus and still have the same issue.

Is this to do with GDPR?

16. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +831
  17. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,051
    Indeed looks like a blip in the system that should be solved.

18. Analysis

Analysis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
  19. indyit

indyit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks guys for all your help and recommendations. To confirm I've ordered the B7V today from Richer Sounds. Should get it by the end of the week. Pretty excited!!

Will have to look around the forums to see tips and tricks as well as setting recommendations etc. It's been a long time since I've had a new screen to calibrate and have a play with.