B7500 HDR Settings

barrymat

Novice Member
Reaction score
Currently have a B7500 but really struggling with good HDR settings.

Colours look really washed out especially when downloading a Sky UHD HDR movie. I believe Sky use HLG HDR which looks really dull and a lot worse than the SDR UHD equivalent.

Also using a Series X and end up turning off the HDR implementation on the menu as it looks worse than SDR

I know that peak brightness is somewhere around 350nits. Should I give up using HDR on this set at all? Dolby Vision looks alot better although I can't change any settings at all.

Understand that I'm using a budget set bit surely I can change some settings to get a better HDR picture.

Any help would be really appreciated with the settings. Currently using the HDR dynamic setting with stock settings.

Thanks in advance.

Not sure if you have seen the above...if not it might help you. I have recently got the A7500 and found it helpful.

Kind regard,
James.

These are the settings I'm using with colour saturation turned down a bit especially when using an SD source.

Was just wondering if there were any other tweaks people were using, just find that watching HDR content via Sky seems a bit washed out.

DV looks fine when using Netflix

Hi Barry,

With me having a different model what works for me probably won't work for you but I can't stand using Dynamic mode it looks awful on my model...for me I find Cinema day is best and just tweak the picture mode settings.

I found the calibrations settings used in the link was OK to start me off but didn't go into expert settings or use the gaming mode but I don't want vibrant and punchy colours, I like natural colours so my picture may look a bit washed out!

I've been tinkering for ages and I probably need to stop, I know that the HDR on the B7500 isn't great anyway as the peak nits are only around 340ish.

I've pretty much gone with the above options but just turned the colour down a bit.

If you do fancy sharing your setting s I'd be happy to give them a go

Here you go but as l said l don't like vibrant and punchy colours and l am still playing with my settings...they are not screenshots but off my mobile phone!

Attachments

• 20210527_193320.jpg
    20210527_193320.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 272
  • 20210527_193251.jpg
    20210527_193251.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 288
  • 20210527_194116.jpg
    20210527_194116.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 241
Hi,
firstly always make sure your Hdmi port settings are set to enhanced otherwise anything coming through hdmi won't have HDR. For something with 350 nits I would say Contrast 100, Colour 55, Brightness 50, Sharpness 20. Turn off all processing options like smooth mode, adaptive contrast etc. For hdr picture settings it's a hard one because it's subjective. I use HDR dynamic for gaming and HDR standard for anything else. For any inputs though always go to settings/system/HDMI and CEC/Enhanced.

Hope this helps

Hi,
firstly always make sure your Hdmi port settings are set to enhanced otherwise anything coming through hdmi won't have HDR. For something with 350 nits I would say Contrast 100, Colour 55, Brightness 50, Sharpness 20. Turn off all processing options like smooth mode, adaptive contrast etc. For hdr picture settings it's a hard one because it's subjective. I use HDR dynamic for gaming and HDR standard for anything else. For any inputs though always go to settings/system/HDMI and CEC/Enhanced.

Hope this helps
Thanks very much for the suggestions, will give them a go next time I watch a HDR source

Hi, not sure this is the right thread but seemed to be the latest without starting another one.
I was at a friends last night & he put on his Samsung TV (not sure which model,but 49/50" at a guess) & his picture in 4K HD looked soooo much better than my B7500.
Both Netflix & Prime (Via TV apps)
Is this just a brand thing or could my settings be off?

*better as in Clearer/how 4K should be

Any thoughts?

Your TV is incapable of good HDR. In order to get a good HDR image the TV should be either an OLED or, a Full Array Local Dimming LED LCD (or MiniLED but they are v new and not many options atm) that can hit a peak of around 1000 nits.

Unfortunately, your TV is no good for HDR (just as most sub £850 ish TVs are - unless you managed to pick up something like the 55 U8QFTUK for £500 on a Costco deal like I did). However you will be able to get a very good a 4K SDR image from it.

As you have already discovered, on games consoles you are better off disabling HDR at the system level and just playing everything in SDR.

For your SkyQ setup, change your Video output settings to be 2160p 8bit and that will force your output to 'just' 4K SDR but will look better than the crappy 4K 'HDR' that the TV will try and give you.

It might not be want you want to hear but I;am afraid that is the lie of the land. You should be able to enjoy a really nice 4K SDR image though :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom