B50 "..a free PCI express x1, x4, x16 socket which is not SLI or crossfire linked"?

Ian North

Standard Member
Quote from the Blackgold install instructions: http://home.btconnect.com/blackgold/Downloads/BGT36xx Installation Guide_1-1lr.pdf .
Can anyone shed light on what that means to the user? Its on paragraph 3.1.2.
"Locate a free PCI express x1, x4, x16 motherboard socket which is not SLI or Crossfire linked. Loosen as
necessary the securing device to allow the removal of the associated rear chassis metal cover plate".
I returned a BGT3650 to Scan today as it uttered not a sign of life on install. As an aside the people at Scan were very good in testing the card and swapping it within a few minutes, very good.
Now i am super weary of getting this job right and want to know just what the SLI/crossfire note is about. The card is going in an Asus P8H67-M EVO hopefully in slot 4 (PCI-E x16 (x8/x4 really). The x1 slot is number 2 and has an Edemax wi-fi, The BGT would be a bit close to the HD6570 passive heatsink in slot 1 x16 for thermal comfort (its the heat from the BGT i am bothered about).
BGT3650 in the header it should be! I need a new mouse!

Last edited:

simon194

Quote from the Blackgold install instructions: http://home.btconnect.com/blackgold/Downloads/BGT36xx Installation Guide_1-1lr.pdf .
Can anyone shed light on what that means to the user? Its on paragraph 3.1.2.
"Locate a free PCI express x1, x4, x16 motherboard socket which is not SLI or Crossfire linked. Loosen as
necessary the securing device to allow the removal of the associated rear chassis metal cover plate".
I returned a BGT3650 to Scan today as it uttered not a sign of life on install. As an aside the people at Scan were very good in testing the card and swapping it within a few minutes, very good.
Now i am super weary of getting this job right and want to know just what the SLI/crossfire note is about. The card is going in an Asus P8H67-M EVO hopefully in slot 4 (PCI-E x16 (x8/x4 really). The x1 slot is number 2 and has an Edemax wi-fi, The BGT would be a bit close to the HD6570 passive heatsink in slot 1 x16 for thermal comfort (its the heat from the BGT i am bothered about).
BGT3650 in the header it should be! I need a new mouse!
I means it can't be used in PCIe x16 sockets on a mainboard that supports SLi or Crossfire. It can be used in any PCIe x1 or x4 socket.

The PCIe x16 slots on the Asus board are Crossfire linked so can't be used for the BGT3650.

Ian North

Standard Member
I means it can't be used in PCIe x16 sockets on a mainboard that supports SLi or Crossfire. It can be used in any PCIe x1 or x4 socket.

The PCIe x16 slots on the Asus board are Crossfire linked so can't be used for the BGT3650.
After a visit to the local and a conversation with one who knows I installed the card in slot 4, the second "pretend x16" slot. I stated it was x8 and x4, its poorer than that, its x4 and x2. Anyway my drinking partner said it was a notice on possible lane hogging for the true x16 on slot one that I installed an HD6570 card into. Unlike the other older boards I have used the P8H67-M EVO don`t have user switching for the long slots, its all auto.
Card recognised and drivers installed. I noticed SM LED`s on the card I returned to Scan and wondered if the lack of action from them also indicated a dead card. The working card performs a light show when windows examines the signals.
Happy to keep the red hot tuner from cooking the graphics card heat pipes.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom