1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B&Ws s3s with Eggs

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by shawkins002, Mar 10, 2003.

1. shawkins002

shawkins002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Given limited funds (and a total lack of patience), I am completing my HC setup in stages.

I've gone for the Marantz SR5300, and upgraded my fronts to B&W a pair of 601s3. V pleased so far - especially 2 channel stereo.

The intention was to go for an LCR60 and have three B&W 600 s3 rears and a Velodyne sub to finish this off. But I'm beginning to wonder if the B&Ws will be too big. The LCR60 is massive, and would mean investing in a new hi-fi rack.

So, firstly, the centre: Currently I'm using a Celestion CSC centre - and the difference in tone as speech switches from the B&W left/right to the Celestion centre is really noticable. More so than I thought it would be.

Is my only option the LCR60 to prevent this? Or is the Celestion just a poor quality centre? Can anyone recommend a centre that may match the 601s, but isn't built like a tank.

At the back, I'm thinking 3 600 s3s will make things a bit crowded, so I'm thinking of putting 3 eggs at the back instead. Is this likely to cause similar problems to the ones I already have with the centre?

Beginning to wonder whether I should take the B&Ws back and go with Eggs all round.

Thoughts very much appreciated before I take this drastic measure.

Thanks

Simon

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Don't. The 601's are far nicer than the Eggs. I know you are worried about lots of boxes behind you & a large centre, but how about this: keep the 601's and get 2 more: one for centre front (it's ok to put it on it's side in your rack) and one for centre rear. Then get 2 little 600's for L/R surround. Perfect tonal match across the front and an even tone behind you (esp. for PLII music). Eggs will not deliver the full sound the 600/601's are capable of.

3. shawkins002

shawkins002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks mate. This is my first venture in to HC, and it's good to know I haven't screwed up so far. I think the 601s are fantastic - feel I've been harsh on them by suggesting a potential return to the store. Poor little fellas. I'll buy you some new stands to make up for it.

Think I'll stick to the original plan and make some room available for the 600s at the back.

Has anyone actually moved house purely to accomodate a better set-up?

4. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    :D Take a look in the DIY section of the forum to see the building lengths some members go to......:eek:

5. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

No, the LCR600 is massive! and I love it!:D glad I changed my mind from the 60 to the 600 at the last min! :D

6. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I had to sell my LCR600. :(

Hey shawkins002, have you considered 3 pairs of 600s and a decent sub? Assuming you can return those 601s free of charge, of course. I've gone from 601s3 + sub to 600s3 + sub and the difference really is absolutely nothing once you have spent a little time on integration (which I admit took me quite a bit longer with the 600s).

MuFu.