B &W vs. Mission

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mattmatt, May 1, 2004.

1. mattmatt

mattmatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, help needed on which speakers is best to match with Onkyo 701, or Yamaha RXV 1400 or same category? thanks in advance!:confused:

2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Firstly welcome to the forum:D

The only way to find out what is best to your ear is to go and audition as many makes of speaker in your price range. One speaker is not necessarily better than another just different and you need to find the character you like. If you give us an idea of the budget your prepared to spend then we will be able to give you some likely candidates:)
    A few more details like size of room you are using and are you wanting standmount, floorstanding or a sub sat system. If you could let us know what it's going to be used mainly for too that would help (I use my system 60% music listening 40% movies).

:smashin:

3. mattmatt

mattmatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks mate, budget is usd 1,000, excluding sub, room around 4x6 sq.m. will prefer bookshelf type given limited space..60%movies and 40%audio listening..thanks again in advance..

4. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Since we are in the UK I'm only familiar with speakers native to this area and $1000 translates to about £600 here. For around that budget there are loads to choose from so an audition will be needed to find a suitable match for the receiver you choose. Maybe you could audition receivers and speakers initially to find which range complement one another as both have an effect on the character of sound that will be produced. With each, one product is not necessarily better than another just different and you need to find the balance you prefer.
    The usual suspects I'd audition would be Kef Q series ( http://www.kef.com/products/qseries/qserieshome.html ), B&W DM600 series 3 ( http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.ranges/label/Range 600 Series 3 ), Acoustic energy aegis evo series, Mission M3* series. Other makes I'd certainly look at would be Dynaudio, Proac and M&K as they are highly thought off around these parts but may be stretching your budget slightly. Remember to factor in cables and interconnects which should roughly be around 15% of your budget.
    It's important to match the fronts (fl,fr and centre) and rears (rl,rr,rc) but they do not necessarily have to match each other (FRonts and rears). In my set up a lot more money was spent on my fronts (which are Linn's) than my rears (which are missions). I decided to do this as I felt that the rears were mainly for effects and movement around the rear sound stage and not as important as the fronts. My set up is weighted in favour of music so most of my money went on a good pair of main speaker and the matching centre.
    Any of the above packages will be good with movies and music imo but I would suggest you get a reciever with pre-outs so an integrated amp can be added later should you wish. Many av receivers a quite limited with stereo repro and a designated integrated amp can be added to help with this failing.

Any other questions ask away:)

enjoy you search:smashin: