B&W VM1's

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by scrapbook, Jul 22, 2002.

1. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    Has anyone purchased or sound tested these speakers?

2. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've got them, very nice they are too :)

3. klee

klee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Scrapbook,

You are in luck. I've had these true-to-hifi speakers since early this year. Had penned an in-depth review of them meant for audioreview.com but that site hasn't managed to organise itself well since a revamp. So now looking for a newer site to post it. Watch this space or www.audioasylum.com » Product Reviews » Speakers » B&W.

Its all good news and an interesting read for those looking at high fidelity speakers with some lifestyle cues at a price bracket of between £700 - £1000. I believe this is the (min) price bracket that currently provides speakers (packages) first and foremost capable of high fidelity vocal performances in music - then allowing home theatre uses to be a no-brainer.

KLee

Attached Files:

4. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    Thanks for your comments guys.

Can either one of you guys please let me know what sort of home cinema set up you have got?

I was thinking of just upgrading the fronts and centre as a temporary measure, would you recommend against this?

As always you start off with a budget and inevitably end up doubling it as some stage!

KLee,

Is there any chance of a preview of your review by e-mail?

Thanks,

Scrapb

5. jag

jag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you buy this speaker in a package? If so, where from?

6. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I bought my VM1 speakers from Sevenoaks. They are sold individually for about £125 per speaker.

I have 5x VM1 speakers and the matching AS1 sub.

As you can buy the speakers one at a time you can upgrade gradually if you want to, but I don't know what that would sound like :)

I keep meaning to stick some pictures up but until BT get their finger out of their a*** and sort out my new ADSL connection that won't be happening.

7. jag

jag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just found out that the stands come at £149.95 a pair :eek:

8. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    Rochdale,

What amp set up do you have?

Do you find the VM1's equally as good on stereo sound as 5.1?

9. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a Denon 3802, and I couldn't really tell you as I haven't listened to any music on it and I use PL II all the time for TV.

10. klee

klee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Scrapbook,

Patience buddy and you'll be rewarded I promise. Meanwhile you're again in luck as I've got some snap shots of these beauts to pose for me, barely 1 week after arrival. Have moved them around since (always do experiment to have fun and reap detailed imaging that just makes spine tingling stuff when done late nights).

Hmm ... can't insert multiple jpgs here so just one for now. I've got pics so if anyone wants to see the rest, please let know. Enjoy.

KLee

Attached Files:

11. triplebj

triplebj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd like to see the rest, please.

Looks like the speakers are 125 a piece ? - how much are the stands ?

I already have a Q100 sub, which I assume would be fine with 5xVM1 ? (and my new AVR200 :)

BJ

12. jag

jag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check a few posts up. I found them at £149.95 a pair.

13. klee

klee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's another. The whole package which includes 5xVM1 and 1xAS1 sub has a recommended retail package price of £800 - that is what I know of back in Jan 2002. All I can say is that I managed to get a better price from Audio-T of West Hampstead during their Jan sale. Rather than give misleading info on their pricing today, do call Felix at Audio-T at West Hampstead. Their shop area is comparatively small ... but service is good and so perhaps its balanced out with slightly more aggressive pricing which favoured me during my purchase period! And btw, the Marantz range of a/v amps bought in Jan have all now increased in price!! First time I've actually experienced hifi increasing in value. Tells you how well the Marantz range was received when initially released. Gem. Wait and go for their next SR4300 and up series.

The VM1 special stands are built in Denmark. They are full aluminium with cast alloy base. They channel the vibrations away from the speakers and into the stands well. I don't think the VM1s are large enough to require filling the stands - I haven't but would be interested in knowing if anyone has and its effects. The one thing I did notice about the stands is that the wedge that slots into the back of the VM1s isn't completely a glove fit - the wedge being a little (1mm) wider, so a little force is required to push the VM1s down on it, thus the 1mm extra eats into the side edges of the slot. Can't be helped. Dealer setup was the same. Once fitted, the solidity is ensured. The VM1s own table top stands (which come std) fit perfectly with no issues.

KLee

Attached Files:

14. klee

klee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I assume the Q100 is a REL sub akin to the Q150E? If so, you are indeed fine and you're laughing with your AVR200. Nice one.

KLee

Attached Files:

15. klee

klee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's the last pic. I still haven't removed the plastic inserts that allow you to rotate the cool badge! Like my B&W? Get it? ... my own fav Black&White photo shot in Cotswolds and also my Bowers&Wilkins!! (he he)

KLee:D

Attached Files:

16. triplebj

triplebj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, the Q100 is the older version of the Q150 (and according to some better than the new one).

I just ordered my AVR200, so I am eager to read your review !?

Thanx,
    BJ

17. klee

klee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1

This review of the B&W VM1 is belated. A Thousand Apologies to those that waited for it back in August 2002.

Within the budget the synergy of the VM1s are hard to beat. Here it is finally in the attached zip file. Do Enjoy!

* KLee *

B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1 B&W VM1This review of the B&W VM1 is belated. Apologies to those that waited for it back in August 2002.

Attached Files:

18. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Before I read the review I'd just like to say "damn!", they look absolutely fantastic. :eek:

Nice pics. :)

MuFu.

19. klee

klee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks MuFu. Here's more pics o drool at. Seems they have restricted to sizes of 300x300 what a shame. Have you heard the VM1s? Whaddyafink?

KLee

Attached Files: