1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B&W surround angst

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Matty N, Jan 11, 2001.

1. Matty N

Matty N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We are imminently going to purchase a Denon AVC A1SE and a set of B&W speakers consisting the 603 fronts, probably the LCR6 centre and 601 surrounds - mainly due to size. The room is rectangular with a 12' side wall and 18' front / rear walls with the screen and sofa against them respectively. The surrounds will be standmounted firing across the back of the sofa just above ear level to delocalise the sound slightly.
    The query concerns the inclusion of a centre rear dual speaker set up mounted with dipolar speakers approximately 3' above ear level to the left and right ends of the sofa. I am stuck for options given a fairly limited space and the lack of a full range B&W surround.

I want diffuse atmospheric sound for movies but the precision for multichannel music (such as the DTS Eagles Hell Freezes Over 1.5kbit disc).

Any advice or general comments most welcome!

PS - I am considering getting a !cheap! retailer (any ideas?) to supply the KEF TDM34DS but would this mix well with the B&W's given my sensitive ears - or perhaps it would overpower the room?

2. Jesus H

Jesus H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I assume you ar intending to make use of 7.1, so...

technically with 5.1, according to THX there were no rear speakers, just side speakers (which were mounted to the rear but on the side walls.

With the advent of 7.1, rear speakers were added, i.e to th back wall

so i would, well the self crowned audio god THX would, suggest you put the dipoles beside your head on the side walls and the 601's at the back to have full THX 7.1 set up and to get the full benefit of 7.1 as (THX)intended.

I belive the dipoles at the sides of where you sit are dipoles in order that your ears are not blasted directly with sound from the side.

Hope this helps.

------------------
    'This one's got a bad mmooooooooooooooooootivaaaaaaator (in a very camp voice)'

member formerly known as hank hill

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matty,

I take it from your thread you want 7.1 and want B&W accross the board. Have you considered using the B&W DS6 Dipoles which are part of the 600 series and are THX Certified.They should retail for £350 a pair or so, and sticking with THX recommendations use two on the side walls and two on the back.I used them on a past system and they will give you that true diffuse effect.

Go to a Good dealer and get him/her to demo this set up with the DS6'as stated. It should make for a great sounding system.I would always recommend B&W and Kef for their speakers.

Also are you adding a subwoofer to that set up,if so can i suggest a REL Stratta III
    or REL STORM sub. These are mean subs and in my opinion (having used them for years along with the B&W set up) are far superior to the B&W subs.

Cheers
    Phil

4. TobyAnscombe

TobyAnscombe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    To back Phil up, I have 603's and DS6's. Some people (rightly) say that the freq response is not up to DD / DTS levels but I have had mine for 4 years with a couple of different amps and would not swap them for 601's (which I did demo for 2 weeks), Sub wise I have owned a Strata III and will say without any hesitation that it is the best musical / HT sub I have ever heard, with the emphisis on musical.

Hope this little wibble helps but it's pre coffee.

T