B&W sub-woofer recommendation appreciated

southyarralad

Novice Member
Reaction score
I'm building a theatre room with B&W CT7.3 LCRS as left, right and centre, and other B&W as surrounds. I'm planning on two SW, but can't decide between DB4S or PV1D. Any suggestions appreciated.

I would not buy a B&W subwoofer, as you can better performance for less money elsewhere. Do you have a budget in mind?

Power sound audio, Arendal and SVS are brands I'd suggest you consider.

Do you live in the USA?

In case you don't know this is a UK based forum, so I was initially assuming you lived here. Remove Arendal from the shortlist I gave before and definitely looking into PSA. There are other brands to consider in the US too.

I'm building a theatre room with B&W CT7.3 LCRS as left, right and centre, and other B&W as surrounds. I'm planning on two SW, but can't decide between DB4S or PV1D. Any suggestions appreciated.

The PV1D I don't know much about, but I have a DB4S that I find quite impressive. We've discussed that (with measurements) over in this thread. In terms of performance, it's fantastic for the size. My room is a little smaller than yours, but open into adjacent rooms, and the sub can do a convincing 90+ dB there.

One 10" isn't going to get your trousers flapping, but it does make my sofa shake. Two might be great, actually.

Last edited:
In the USA you have lots of options: HSU, Rhythmik, SVS, PSA, JTR. All of those will outperform a B&W sub in what is likely a much larger space than most people on this forum have.

Personally I have PSAs (they're one of the few brands above that are available over here) and they integrate fine with B&W speakers - I have the 800 series.

In that price bracket you could get a PSA TV1812 which would most likely shake your sofa.

* I'm only recommending PSA as I know their line-up. I'm know the others have similar spec subs in the same price bracket, I just don't know which ones.

Thanks. It makes it difficult, at the moment, that I can't go and listen to anything.

Thanks, I like a shaking sofa.

Just to give you an idea, the PSA TV1812 that @conrad mentioned has an 18" driver in a large ported cabinet compared to a 10" driver in a much smaller sealed cabinet in the case of the B&W. Both would cost you $2000* and both have 1000W amps. I have no doubt whatsoever that the PSA would utterly destroy the B&W in the sofa shaking department!

*Unless there is a sales tax difference I'm ignoring.

Last edited:
US sales tax is based on the state that it's being shipped to so they'd be the same.

US sales tax is based on the state that it's being shipped to so they'd be the same.

Unless the B&W price quoted included this, which is why I added my comment :) .

good point, well made.

18" is more than three times the surface area of a 10" – if that doesn't make the sofa shake, you have a very big sofa or it's very far away… and you need more 18" subs

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom